Reclaim disk space after Multi-Mailbox Search. Lost 50GB plus for doing 3 searches

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2007 / 2010 / 2013 Reclaim disk space after Multi-Mailbox Search. Lost 50GB plus for doing 3 searches

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mckalyster 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • searcherrr

HI. I have had to do my 1st ever multi-mailbox search. In the process of doing so, I witnessed the Exchange Data drive lose over 50GB of free space. This is Exchange Server 2010 SP3.

Why do we have to be penalized by losing so much disk space for doing a global email search?

1. Simply put: HOW DO I GET MY VALUABLE PRECIOUS DRIVE SPACE BACK??? IT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE THAT I’D HAVE TO LOSE SO MUCH JUST FOR DOING 3 OR 4 SEARCHES!!!
    2. Does deleting the “multi-mailbox searches themselves inside of ECP” free up the data again? If so that would be too easy, but I didn’t think that would do anything so they are still there for later reference.
    3. So far I have gotten rid of all of the retention periods and set them to ZERO (0) to try to see if Exchange nightly maintenance would run and reclaim the space. No luck.
    4. I’ve reviewed the drive space for where it all went and of course the largest things there appear to be the Mailbox databases themselves.
    5. I have reviewed articles for Defragging the data drive, shut off and/or dismount the Exchange databases first, then wait forever….. but is this what I need/want to do?
    6. Why hasn’t the internal Exchange mailbox database maint (synonymous with internal database defragging right??) reclaimed the space?
    7. Does the retention period for the deleted data at the time of the search take effect even though I changed it to ZERO thereafter?
    8. I have been in the DiscoverySearchMailbox and completely cleared it out… but the lost GB are still lost.
    9. Where is the Exchange data cache for searches etc… located so I can stop services, delete it and restart?
    10. I have Administrator as part of the Discovery Management group, but despite that in ECP via OWA I cannot open the DiscoverySearchMailbox, though I can open DiscoverySearchMailbox in Outlook if I give Administrator full access permissions to DiscoverySearchMailbox, but I was hoping to look at it in OWA to see if anything else shows up that I don’t see in Outlook.
    11. Is there a default password for DiscoverySearchMailbox? If not, will I break anything in Exchange if I go and give that account a password so I can sign in to it via OWA?

Thanks to anyone and all who read this.

I hope this forum never changes. This is my 1st post and It looks great and you can easily navigate “CATEGORIES”!!! I don’t understand what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with its forums, but easy to navigate categories/sections (like this forum) will always reign King in my opinion.

mckalyster

Wow.. 5 days and nobody?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.