Quick question about Sites and Services and Supernetting.

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory Quick question about Sites and Services and Supernetting.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar joeqwerty 12 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    I am working on Sites and Services for our client. Instead of making 40 subnets in Sites and Services is it possible to create a subnet like 10.30.0.0 under Sites and Services.

10.30.x.x was supernetted.

Thanks,
    David

ahmer_sahab

Re: Quick question about Sites and Services and Supernetting.

Hey David,
    You can use any subnet you like :) there is no restriction. Can you please explain your question. What subnet mask you are using?

joeqwerty

Do you mean that 10.30.x.x was subnetted as in

Subnet 1 = 10.30.1.x
    Subnet 2 = 10.30.2.x

Or something similar?

We don’t have multiple subnets but if I remember my studies correctly, a client will authenticate with a DC in it’s own site so if you don’t create multiple Sites you may have clients trying to authenticate with DC’s that are not local to the client (meaning that they may authenticate with a DC in another city or country, etc.) which would probably cause some problems.

Hello Ahmar_sahab,
    Here is an example of our DHCP scopes.

Scope :10.30.65.0 NM: 255.255.254.0 / 23 Houston – NOC
    Scope :10.30.66.0 NM: 255.255.254.0 / 23 Houston – first floor
    Scope :10.30.67.0 NM: 255.255.254.0 / 23 Houston – second floor
    Up too 10.30.99.00

Now under AD Sites and Services instead of creating individual Subnets can I create a subnet with the following values.

255.255.254.0 /23
    Texas < – Site name.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
    David

ahmer_sahab;83742 wrote:
    Hey David,
    You can use any subnet you like :) there is no restriction. Can you please explain your question. What subnet mask you are using?
    joeqwerty

It makes sense but I think you will run into clients on first floor authenticating with a DC on the second floor, etc., etc. if you create a single subnet.

Hello joeqwerty,
    Yeah that is what I am trying to do right now is clean up all this mess. I creating AD Sites and Services to match the DHCP scopes. I noticed that a Houston Server authenticated to a Omaha DC. Not good.

Thanks,
    David

joeqwerty;83748 wrote:
    Do you mean that 10.30.x.x was subnetted as in

Subnet 1 = 10.30.1.x
    Subnet 2 = 10.30.2.x

Or something similar?

We don’t have multiple subnets but if I remember my studies correctly, a client will authenticate with a DC in it’s own site so if you don’t create multiple Sites you may have clients trying to authenticate with DC’s that are not local to the client (meaning that they may authenticate with a DC in another city or country, etc.) which would probably cause some problems.

joeqwerty

Well on the upside you only have to do this once… hopefully. GL.

Yeah I can’t wait until it is done, there are 500 servers with this client. :shock:

Thanks man!

joeqwerty;83754 wrote:
    Well on the upside you only have to do this once… hopefully. GL.
    ahmer_sahab

hi,
    use subnet value as 10.30.65.0 with subnet mask as 255.255.254.0
    this would help your clients to properly resolve addresses. The configuration you using would not help to determine proper address of domain controllers to clients
    cheers

joeqwerty

I don’t beleive that what you’re saying will work. How will the clients know to authenticate to 10.30.65.x instead of 10.30.66.x if they are on the 10.30.65.x subnet using your plan. Can you explain? Thanks much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.