problem with remote desktop for administration

Home Forums Virtualization Terminal Services problem with remote desktop for administration

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gogi100 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gogi100

i have the windows server 2003 SP1 domain and 45 workstation on the win xp sp2. until yesterday i could to connect on server from everyone workstation in domain. i start the remote desktop connection on workstation, when it’s open logon window on server i type username and pasword and i connected on server. today i found that i can do it and with local administrator account from workstation. i tried to prevent so that i have set gpo on domain whose is name the terminal service (computer configuration/windows settings/security settings/local policies/user right acces/ logon through terminal service and deny logon through terminal service). i have set in gpo in logon through terminal service: administrators and in ny logon through terminal service: first users then everyone. i refresh gpo with gpupdate /force. i restarted computer but i received a problem domain policy and domain controller policy are corrupted. i used tool dcgpofix /target:both and i recovered those policies. there is still a problem. when i try to connect over remote desktop over any workstation on server i receive message ‘Local policy does not permit you to log on interactively’ then i found on internet a guide that the gpo need set on domain controler policy http://ts.veranoest.net/ts_logon.asp. but again nothing. i tried delete both gpo on dmain and on domain controller. but nothing. i puted users, groups in remote desktop group but nothing. in the terminal service configuration, in connectio rdp-tcp/properties in security remote desktop group have the access. i don’t have what i do? how i can to restrict the access to the server only the Administrators group and no longer has access?
    thank’s

yuval14

Re: problem with remote desktop for administration

Please use RSPO or GPresult to find out which GPOs applying to your user/computer.
    Also, you may need to force permission for the domain admin like:

Logon Local
    Logom via Terminal Server etc.

btw.. Why you dont update the Win 2003 to the latest service pack/hotfix?!

gogi100

i used gporesult and i found that my terminal service policy applyed on domain, but the policy doesn’t activate. i searched on internet and i found on microsoft site

Quote:
    Also, make sure that the Remote Desktop Users group has sufficient permissions to log on through Terminal Services. To do this, follow these steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type secpol.msc, and then click OK.
    Expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.
    In the right pane, double-click Allow logon through Terminal Services. Make sure that the Remote Desktop Users group is listed.
    Click OK.
    In the right pane, double-click Deny logon through Terminal Services. Make sure that the Remote Desktop Users group is not listed, and then click OK.
    Close the Local Security Settings snap-in.

i didn’t check local security policy of my server. domain and domain controler policies are checked and in computer configuration/windows settings/security settings/local policies/user right acces/ logon through terminal service and deny logon through terminal service i don’t have nobody.
    i don’t know how to force permissions for the domain admin.

yuval14

Please give the domain admins + remote desktop group a logon permission to TS and then use gpupdate /force

gogi100

where i give the domain admins + remote desktop group a logon permission to TS in domain gpo or domain controller gpo? i tried in both and gpupdate /force but nothing.

yuval14

Domain Controller GPO… and you can use gpesult/RSOP to verity the settings..

gogi100

I returned everything and everything is fine. How to disable local administrators on workstations to access the remote win server 2003 where is the domain controller?

yuval14

Regular Users doesnt gave permission to logon into the TS.
    However, if the DC set to be TS and/or permissions was set (e.g. logon local, logon via TS – on DC GPO) – users can login into the DC.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.