Problem with networking after exporting and importing virtual machine running Ubuntu

Home Forums Virtualization Microsoft Hyper-V Technology Problem with networking after exporting and importing virtual machine running Ubuntu

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar EarthReactor 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    davids355

Hi guys,
    I have a virtual machine running on a Hyper-V host.
    The machine is running ubuntu and was running without any issues.
    I wanted to move the VM to a second harddrive in the same server so I exported it to that second hard drive and then imported it.

Since doing so I have lost Internet access on the VM.

I can restore Internet connectivity simply by running a command to add a default gateway, but once I reboot, Internet connectivity is again lost.

The gateway is configured in the network settings so it is strange how this issue has started to occur.

I have posted on Ubuntu forums and none of their suggestions have worked so far so it doesn’t appear to be an obvious problem.

I know this forum isnt really focused on linux but I wondered if you guys had any idea what might have occured during the export/import process to cause an issue like this….???

biggles77
    Spectator

Does it have the same name in Settings–> Network Adapter–>Network–> Local Area Network?

Ossian

I have seen this with imports on a different server where HV doesn’t pick up the same virtual network – WIndows loses the old adaptor on the VM. Not sure about Linux, and since it is on the same HyperV server it should not apply.

JeremyW
    JeremyW

You need to set a static MAC address of the Linux VM or else you’ll continue to have this issue. (Linux keys off the MAC address for identifying the interface, Hyper-V dynamically sets the MAC address every time it boots)

EarthReactor

Hi guys,
    The network settings are the same.
    I have even tried creating a new network adaptor in hyperV and then assigning IP settings to it but it did not help.

Jeremy I take your point about the MAC address though, I’ll have a mess around with that today and see if it resolves the issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.