Problem Removing DC

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar cezar444 9 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi!

We have 3 domain controller. I want to demote one, and only use it as a simple server. So I run dcpromo, and I get this error:

erreurdcpromo.jpg

Is there a way instead of forcing removal?

Thanks

Christ

v-2nas

Re: Problem Removing DC

dcpromo /forceremoval
    But then you need to reconfigure your replication, perform metadata cleanup afterwords
    Before that
    Try using your Enterprise Admin account, check if your Domain Name FSMO role is up and running

sara

I tried using the Enterprise Admin Account, doesn’t work.

Domain Naming FSMO Holder is my DC1

Schema FSMO Holder is my DC2

These two have the Global Catalog enable. The SRV-Backup doesn’t.

cezar444

You could try and hunt down the objects in question and try to repair their permissions.
    Personally, I believe that force removal and cleanup is pretty simple procedure. You you’ve never done it before and you’d like to test it in a lab, I highly recommend restoring your DCs in a closed environment and doing all what you want there first. This way you can create snapshots and go back and try different approach in case something goes wrong.

Those links contain all you need to know about force remove.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/332199
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781245(WS.10).aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498

If you choose to go with the lab, you can use VMware Workstation to import your DCs. It’s pretty simple to setup this scenario using this tool. It’s not free, though.

sara

We use to have VMware, so I think I’ll give a try to make sure it doesn’t crash.

thanks

cezar444

ChristTheGreat;222574 wrote:
    We use to have VMware, so I think I’ll give a try to make sure it doesn’t crash.

thanks

Nothing makes you more awake in the morning than low-level ADSIedit of your AD ;)

sara

ADSIedit?
    what is that utility?

v-2nas

That’s come with support tools. Active Directory Service Interface Editor.
    It exposes granuler level info of your Domain, Config, Schema, App if available partition context and gives xs to quickly blow up things

cezar444

ChristTheGreat;222598 wrote:
    ADSIedit?
    what is that utility?

You’ll find all required info in the articles. Basically, as v-2nas said, it’s a manual editing tool for AD.
    Just make sure to change exactly what is said to change in the support articles and backup first (IMHO, quickest way is system state backup in windows ntbackup)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.