Primary DC Failed, Having Issues w/ Secondary DC Taking Ownership of Roles

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2016 Primary DC Failed, Having Issues w/ Secondary DC Taking Ownership of Roles

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  manishsherma45 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • 1tm0nk3y

DC01 (Pri) Failed, DC02 (Sec) is Online: Having Issues w/ DC02 Taking Ownership of Roles
    Unfortunatly, DC01 failed and DC02 is giving this error “Naming Information Cannot be located because the specified domain either does not exists or could not be contacted” when the active directory is opened.

I have followed tutorials on having DC02 assume ownership of the roles, but after the process of retrieving those roles, the Active Directory continues to error out. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

DC01 was running Server 2012 Standard R2
    DC02 is running Server 2016

Ossian

I presume these are the only DCs in the environment?
    Are they in the same site or separate AD sites?
    Is DNS installed on DC02?
    Have you also removed DC01 from the domain (:google:) for Daniel Petri’s instructions on a metadata cleanup)
    Have you rebooted DC02?

joeqwerty

Make sure that DC02 uses itself for Primary DNS and uses 127.0.0.1 for Secondary DNS. Then open ADUC and changed the Domain Controller it’s trying to connect to.

I presume these are the only DCs in the environment? Yes, that is correct.

Are they in the same site or separate AD sites? Not at the same location, however they are connected via IPSEC Tunnels.

Is DNS installed on DC02? Yes – DNS is installed.
    Have you also removed DC01 from the domain for Daniel Petri’s instructions on a metadata cleanup). Regarding Daniels Metadata Cleanup, step 4, am I supposed to be typing in the command for the failed server? DC01 of which is the failed server… I would type “connect to server DC01”, is that right?
    https://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad

Have you rebooted DC02? – First thing I did! No change.

Ossian

Metadata cleanup:
    You need to connect to a working DC (the failed one isn’t available any more) and delete all traces of the failed DC from the working copy of AD. Then make sure (absolutely sure) the failed DC never, ever, reappears on the network

AD Sites:
    Are the DCs in separate sites in ADSS?

Ok, using Daniel Petri’s instructions, I was only able to get to step 15 but not able to proceed further. When clicking on Sites & Services, I continue to get the Active Directory Domain Services Error Box, the error says,”Naming information cannot be located because: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is currently online.”

Also, i have with regards to the DNS, the online DC’s IP is set for the Primary DC and 127.0.0.1 as the Secondary.

https://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad

Whats next?

pjhutch

1. Run DCdiag on the primary server
    2. Open DNS manager and make sure the the NS (name server) and SRV records are present for ADDS to work:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/servergeeks/2014/07/12/dns-records-that-are-required-for-proper-functionality-of-active-directory/
    3. Run NetDom Query Fsmo to ensure all the roles are on the live DC.
    4. Run Net Share to ensure SYSLOG and NETLOGON are mounted.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.