PowerShell script to Move/Rename (w/Date and Time stamp) a file with random name

Home Forums Scripting PowerShell PowerShell script to Move/Rename (w/Date and Time stamp) a file with random name

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by CaTBuS CaTBuS 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CaTBuS
    Participant

I’m trying to rework a PowerShell script that does the following: It monitors a specific directory; when a new file is created in said directory (*.txt), a log file is created/updated with the time stamp and name of the newly created file. The code is:

Code:
    ### SET FOLDER TO WATCH + FILES TO WATCH + SUBFOLDERS YES/NO
    $watcher = New-Object System.IO.FileSystemWatcher
    $watcher.Path = “C:TEMPtest”
    $watcher.Filter = “*.*”
    $watcher.IncludeSubdirectories = $false
    $watcher.EnableRaisingEvents = $true

### DEFINE ACTIONS AFTER A EVENT IS DETECTED
    $action = { $path = $Event.SourceEventArgs.FullPath
    $changeType = $Event.SourceEventArgs.ChangeType
    $logline = “$(Get-Date), $changeType, $path”
    Add-content “C:TEMPtestloglog.txt” -value $logline
    }
    ### DECIDE WHICH EVENTS SHOULD BE WATCHED + SET CHECK FREQUENCY
    $created = Register-ObjectEvent $watcher “Created” -Action $action
    while ($true) {sleep 5}

I’d like to get rid of the current “logging” action and build a new one that does the following. When a new *.txt file is created, it is moved into an archive directory (C:testarchive) and renamed something like capture_%date/timestamp%.txt

I’ve found loads of scripts that will move/rename but only using $OldName $NewName variables. In my case, I won’t know the name of the text file being generated as it is random so can’t use any of these methods. I can’t seem to find a way to use the wild card method used above for the logging action.

Looking forward your ideas! Thanks in advance.

CaTBuS
    CaTBuS
    Participant

I have worked this out myself. Here is what I came up with:

Code:
    $watcher.Filter = “*.*”

$action = { Get-ChildItem C:TEMPtest*.txt | Move-Item -Destination C:TEMPtestArchive
    Get-ChildItem C:TEMPtestArchive*.txt | Foreach {Rename-Item -Path $_.Fullname -newname “$($_.DirectoryName)$($_.BaseName) $(get-date -format [email protected])$($_.extension)”}
    }
    while ($true) {sleep 10}

While this code does work, it is buggy. The renaming process is greatly effected by “when” the file is created. During my testing, I got some pretty weird file names. Some had the date/time stamp 2 or 3 times in one file name. Other files had the “basename” disregarded and were renamed “New Text File.” Although this was a fun endeavor, I think I need to completely rethink this.

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Your logic is slightly off. In the script you’re working on all the files in the archive folder each time the event is triggered. I haven’t tested your code but I added a working directory so that should take care of the logic issue:

$watcher.Filter = “*.*”

$action = { Get-ChildItem C:TEMPtest*.txt | Move-Item -Destination C:TEMPtestWorking
    Get-ChildItem C:TEMPtestWorking*.txt | Foreach {Rename-Item -Path $_.Fullname -newname “$($_.DirectoryName)$($_.BaseName) $(get-date -format [email protected])$($_.extension)”}
    Get-ChildItem C:TEMPtestWorking*.txt | Move-Item -Destination C:TEMPtestArchive
    }
    while ($true) {sleep 10}[/CODE][CODE]### SET FOLDER TO WATCH + FILES TO WATCH + SUBFOLDERS YES/NO
    $watcher.Filter = “*.*”

$action = { Get-ChildItem C:TEMPtest*.txt | Move-Item -Destination C:TEMPtestWorking
    Get-ChildItem C:TEMPtestWorking*.txt | Foreach {Rename-Item -Path $_.Fullname -newname “$($_.DirectoryName)$($_.BaseName) $(get-date -format [email protected])$($_.extension)”}
    Get-ChildItem C:TEMPtestWorking*.txt | Move-Item -Destination C:TEMPtestArchive
    }
    while ($true) {sleep 10}[/CODE]

CaTBuS
    CaTBuS
    Participant

JeremyW, I just say your reply. I will try this out, hopefully this will remedy some buggy behavior I’ve been trying to fix. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Software-Defined Unlimited Backup Storage

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By