Please Read: Significant Update Planned, Migrating Forum Software This Month

Home Forums General Chat Suggestions and Feedback Please Read: Significant Update Planned, Migrating Forum Software This Month

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  wullieb1 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
  • bradsams

Hey Everyone,

During the past several years, this forum has gone through several big evolutions and as the technology world continues to move forward, we are about to bring this forum forward with it.

Targeting the update to be pushed the week of the 28th, we will be migrating this forum to BBpress which sits on-top of WordPress and will help us modernize the experience from an infrastructure perspective.

A few things to note about this migration: all topics and users will be migrated to the new system. We may lose some attachments and avatars in the migration; if there is anything that is of significant value, take the time to back it up (and realistically, storing critical attachments only on a forum isn’t a great idea anyway).

After the migration, your username will stay the same but you will need to update your password.

Our goal with the updated forum is to make it easier for us to manage but also combine the user database with the rest of the site so that front page comments and forums use the same database. Further, with this migration, we will continue to make investments in the forum and to give it more visibility on Petri.com to help grow the user base.

The intention of this migration is to help bring more life to this part of our community. While we know that not everyone will want to leave this platform in favor of BBpress, the long-term impact will be a significant net-positive for this community.

Brad, Executive Editor – Petri.com

Ossian

Thanks for the update, Brad

Will the old forum remain available (read only) for a period, or will it be a forklift?

biggles77
    Spectator
    Quote:
    While we know that not everyone will want to leave this platform in favor of BBpress

With the feature rich bugs of vB5, I wouldn’t put money on that. :lol:

Tim Speciale
    biggles77;n518549 wrote:
    With the feature rich bugs of vB5, I wouldn’t put money on that. :lol:

:):)

Ossian;n518542 wrote:
    Thanks for the update, Brad

Will the old forum remain available (read only) for a period, or will it be a forklift?

Yes, they’ll be online to read until we flip the switch at which point it’ll be back to normal. The migration will probably take 5-7 hours, it’ll be done late (US time) so hopefully the real impact is minimal.

biggles77
    Spectator

Since I like statistics so much, can you post in the thread in the Mods Forum the size of the present database, attachments etc and what the new database will be reduced (?) to if you have the time? Had a Library software program many years ago written in Access and the database was over 400MB and when it got moved to a real Library program, Bibliotech, the database became a mere 10MB. Made backing up across a 10meg link a lot easier.

Blood

Managed to reset my password – thanks :) But, mod forum is not visible.

Blood

Am unable to change the number of posts visible per page – at the moment this is set to 15. Can the option to increase it to 30 or 50 be made available, please?

Tim
    Keymaster

Managed to reset my password – thanks :) But, mod forum is not visible.

Good, there was a server setting that needed to be tweaked to get those emails out.  I need to restore moderator permissions and you will see the forum. That should be completed today.

Am unable to change the number of posts visible per page – at the moment this is set to 15. Can the option to increase it to 30 or 50 be made available, please?

Done.  Not sure what an ideal number is but we can play with it.  I like the idea of letting users decide this on their own.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Tim.

Blood

Quote button is missing. All I see is Edit | Move | Split | Trash | Spam | Reply

Freshness? Stale, rotting, rotten, decayed, mummified, fossilized? Really?

Tim
    Keymaster

Quote button is coming.

Freshness issue is being worked on.

Blood

Thanks. Spam filter seems to be quite aggressive:

Blood

And… images don’t appear. I used the insert/edit image function, pasted the link, and … nothing.

Here’s the link: https://ibb.co/k60c50

Blood

Despite choosing the option to stay signed in, I am having to sign back in each time. I am using a cookie/Ad blocker but it is only blocking ‘vlibs.advertising.com’, ‘<span style=”color: #555555; white-space: nowrap;”>securepubads.g.doubleclick.net’ and ‘adservice.google.com’. The remaining 5 are not blocked.</span>

Tim
    Keymaster

Is the image below what you tried to post or is this the result of you trying to post the image?

Blood

That’s the image of the message that was displayed when I replied to a forum topic. My reply is below the ‘spam’ message.

Tim
    Keymaster

Our servers were recently being hammered by bots posting links to various crap.  This is obviously a false-positive and I presume it’s because of the inclusion of that link.  I will reach out to our 3 3rd party SPAM prevention tools to see if they can offer any insight into minimizing this.

wullieb1
    Participant

Been logged in for a few days now and no access to the Mods forum, mass clear out i presume :)

Don’t seem to be able to PM anyone either. By design?

Ser Olmy – Copy
    Participant

Not sure if it’s a forum issue or related to my account, but I haven’t been able to perform a password reset.

The password reset page will accept either my username and e-mail address, but no mail arrives.

Tim
    Keymaster

Not sure if it’s a forum issue or related to my account, but I haven’t been able to perform a password reset.

The password reset page will accept either my username and e-mail address, but no mail arrives.

This is not really forum related.  I will reach out to you directly, I believe your email provider is blocking that email.  In the meantime, can you reach out to support as well in the event that we have the wrong email set up for your account: https://www.petri.com/contact-support

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Tim.

wullieb1
    Participant

Couple of things

How do we report spam? There is no option to do so and as i don’t have mod rights on the new forums i can’t change or edit anything.

Is there an easier way of finding which forums have new posts in them rather than using Freshness? Maybe a new posts link or some icons to show the forums which have new posts?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.