Partition Issue

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ossian 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • divya25
    Participant

Hello,

We are using Windows Server 2008 R2 Std Edition, IBM X3400 Server. Now we want to extend the c: drive partition size as the space in E: drive is available. Now if I click on the c: drive i can only see the shrink options while if i click on the other partitions i can extend and shrink both. I even shrink the partition from e drive but still not able to extend. I even install some third party tools to extend the size but all are asking for the key to extend..My partition are basic partitions. Do I have to convert it in to the extended partition only ?

I am attaching the screenshot for the detail information

partition information

Can someone help..

wullieb1

You should be able to extend however when you shrink the E:\ it removes the space from the end of the partition and as such you can’t extend the C:\ using this as the spaces need to be contiguous.

Ossian

IIRC you will need to convert the disk to Dynamic first

Before you do so, research the implications of Dynamic vs Basic disks, and also of extending a volume into non-contiguous free space

divya25
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply..

So, is it possible move those 10 GB allocated area in to the contiguous area..and if I convert the disk to the dynamic , will it disturb my OS.

Also, how can I upload the screenshot jpg file here..

Thanks

divya25
    Participant

Hello,

Can anyone help in this case..

Thanks..

Ossian

Screenshots will have to be hosted elsewhere and LINKED here

Changing a disk to Dynamic should not affect an existing OS, but as I said previously, research first, and make sure you have backups just in case

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.