P to V a Windows 3.11 HDD

Home Forums Virtualization Virtual Server & Virtual PC P to V a Windows 3.11 HDD

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Nonapeptide 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    biggles77
    Spectator

I have a friend whose client has a database running on a Windows 3.11 PC. In the short term he is going to try and find a PC that will run the software but would ultimately like to Virtualise the machine. As normal, there is NO installation software so he is unable to build a Virtual Machine from scratch, install the software and then import the database.

Is it possible to do a P to V on a Windows 3.11 computer and if so what convertor will do the trick. No, I haven’t Googled yet as I had a late finish and the problem needs a quick resolution.

I have only considered Virtual PC as I am not familiar enough with VMWare to know it is possible with this either. I run Win 3.11 in a Virtual PC so I know that works.

Thanks.

Nonapeptide

Re: P to V a Windows 3.11 HDD

Would I be daft to just use Acronis / Ghost / Paragon or etc. to image the machine, save the image to a USB attached drive and then drop the image into a virtual machine just as you would if it was another physical machine? That’s my method anyway.

biggles77
    Spectator

Actually he called me at work today and is going to use WinImage to grab the image and then runit as a Virtual so you wuz very close, so close you could be twinz. :mrgreen:

sorinso

It will be very nice if you could update the forum with the outcome of this process…
    Given the fact that Win3.11 is not PnP, I am very curious to know how will it deal with the virtualized hardware…

TIA.

biggles77
    Spectator

He had a problem with HIMEM. He didn’t know Virtual PC had a BIOS or that you could capture the FDD and boot off a floppy. The plan is to do that and edit CONFIG.SYS to get the memory working properly.

As soon as I hear, I shall write it down so I don’t forget it and then try and remember to pass it on.

sorinso

Cool, 10nx !

biggles77
    Spectator

Just heard back. Captured the FDD, booted off a floppy and he REMed out the pertinent memory allocation parts in the Config.sys and the response was “very very successful”.

Seems it work well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.