on premise 2010 Exchange to O365

Home Forums Office Office 365 on premise 2010 Exchange to O365

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bigalusn 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • bigalusn
    Participant

I’m looking to migrate from Exchange 2010 (on premise) to Office 365. Once migrated to 0365, want to shut down the on premise server, what are some best tips to complete this.

Exchange 2010, has roughly 440 inboxes.

also note that my domain is: abc.local and not abc.com….

joeqwerty

A lot of this depends on whether or not you want to sync your on premises AD with Azure AD. I will tell you that if you sync your on premises AD with Azure AD then you will need to leave your on premises Exchange server in place. The Exchange related attributes (of users, groups, contacts, etc.) can only be managed on premises. If you choose not to sync your on premises AD with Azure AD then this is not an issue.

Which are you planning?

bigalusn
    Participant

I guess we won’t use the sync option, hopefully the abc.local and not abc.com won’t be an issue…

any specific tools/apps I can run to see if my domain is ready for the move to 0365?

joeqwerty

If you’re not planning on syncing your on premises AD to Office 365 then a Hybrid Exchange deployment isn’t an option for you, so there’s really nothing you need to do internally. You’ll set up your Office 365 tenant, add and verify your domain (abc.com), create your Office 365 users, assign them licenses, and cut over your DNS records once you’ve migrated the mailbox contents for your on premises users to their Office 365 mailboxes. Note that these Office 365 users will be “Cloud” users, meaning they’re not synced to an on premises AD user so things like SSO will be unavailable to them. You’ll also need to disable the internal SCP lookup method for Outlook Autodiscover after you’ve migrated to Office 365. Removing Exchange from on premises should do that for you, but you need to be aware that in can cause Outlook to find your on premises Exchange server until the SCP is removed or until the SCP lookup method is disabled.

bigalusn
    Participant

supervisor is still undecided. So if we do decide to use a hybrid exchange deployment, will my abc.local and not abc.com be an issue?

Ossian

IIRC you need a UPN suffix matching the email domain – this is not the same as renaming your local domain
    See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-prepare-a-non-routable-domain-such-as-local-domain-for-directory-synchronization-e7968303-c234-46c4-b8b0-b5c93c6d57a7

joeqwerty
    bigalusn;n517348 wrote:
    supervisor is still undecided. So if we do decide to use a hybrid exchange deployment, will my abc.local and not abc.com be an issue?

As Ossian stated, you’ll add abc.com as a UPN Suffix in your on premises AD and set that UPN Suffix on all user accounts. You’ll then add abc.com as a verified domain in Office 365.

bigalusn
    Participant

thanks guys, we have already established the suggested above.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.