OFFERING Remote Assitance FROM a Windows 2003 Server

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 OFFERING Remote Assitance FROM a Windows 2003 Server

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cmarkley 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
  • cmarkley

I have searched the forums, Google Groups, Search Exchange and Microsoft all to no avail. I am trying to figure out how to OFFER remote assistance from a Windows 2003 Server. This is easy from a Windows XP Pro workstation and I can ACCEPT assistance from a Windows 2003 Server. But, I am at a loss for figuring out how to OFFER assistance from a Windows 2003 Server.

This might be a security limitation by design but I can’t find documentation indicating either way!

Any help is appreciated.

Chad

teiger

Re: OFFERING Remote Assitance FROM a Windows 2003 Server

http://www.vladville.com/2006/04/neat-way-to-offer-remote-assistance.html in a different context but it works in a server environment to XP NOT Vista.

rvalstar

If no one answers with a way, you can always use NetMeeting or something similar to accomplish this. Also look at Carbon Copy / PC Duo / ??? where someone can command the console remotely while someone is able to interact at the console.

cmarkley

The thing is, I could use VNC but the Remote Assistance is built in and it works really well across a LAN for my other clients. There is no issue from a XP Workstation, just when trying to provide the assistance from a 2003 server.

rvalstar

There is the same remote assistance crappauge on W2K3 as WXP:

Control PanelSystemRemoteRemote Assistance

Have you played with this?

Rems

Same as from Windows XP by command-line;

Code:
    “%programfiles%Internet ExplorerIEXPLORE.EXE” “hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm”

Or
    open ‘Help and support Center’
    Support Tasks -> Tools
    [+]”Help and Support Center Tools”
    –> Offer remote Assistance

Rem

my editing was to late ! you found it ;)

cmarkley

I found it!!! Geez, I was following this page by Petri http://www.petri.com/offer_remote_assistance_in_windows_xp.htm and I could not find it!! So I dug a little deeper in the Windows Help and finally found it!

Start –> Help and Support
    Support Tasks –> Tools
    Tools in the left –> Help and Support Center Tools
    Under Help and Support Center Tols –> Offer Remote Assistance

Easy to find on Windows XP and a little bit deeper on Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Chad

cmarkley

Killer post REMS, even better!

I can put this link on the desktop of all my servers!

Thanks again

teiger

Rems;54718 wrote:
    Same as from Windows XP by command-line;

Code:
    “%programfiles%Internet ExplorerIEXPLORE.EXE” “hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm”

Same as in the link I gave!

Rems

glad I could help.

ofcause you know that to use offer remote assistant that account have to be a members of the local administrators group on the remote computer. That is why I prefer to use this link my self:

Code:
    %SystemRoot%system32runas.exe /user:[I]domain[/I]AssistAdmin “%programfiles%Internet ExplorerIEXPLORE.EXE “hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/Unsolicitedrcui.htm””

And use a GPO -to activate RA; -to set the firewall; and -to add AssistAdmin as a member of the local administrators group on all the clients.
    But instead of that special link, you can also rightclick on the the link and simply choose Run As…

by the way;
    I found the url of that page by ‘rightclicking -> properies‘ on the remoteassistend panel in Help and support. Then open that page it by using IE.
    I found the page in Help and Support by a search to “remote assistant”.

Steven you are right, i didnt check the link sorry.
    ~now I remember there was another topic before also about offering remote access
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11043&highlight=offer+remote+assistance ;)

Rem

cmarkley

A question for you…how do you leverage a GPO to add a domain user the member of a local administrator group? I have only been able to do with with a batch file and the “NET” command.

Want to share?

rvalstar

cmarkley;54730 wrote:
    A question for you…how do you leverage a GPO to add a domain user the member of a local administrator group? I have only been able to do with with a batch file and the “NET” command.

Want to share?

Sounds like new and separate issue. I’d suggest a new post. Find an appropriate forum and have a go.

Rems

Rick wrote:
    I’d suggest a new post.

how about an old post :grin: ;
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12489

Rem

rvalstar

Rems;54733 wrote:
    how about an old post :grin: ;
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12489

Rem

Better yet or Better still — I believe they have the same (and intended) meaning.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.