Not receiving external email

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Not receiving external email

This topic contains 31 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar kuldeep.singh 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    hakmeh

Hi,
    We have Exchange 2003 installed on Server 2003 on our domain with ISA 2006.

Several days ago i changed both sender and recipient filters and applied it over the SMTP protocol, after couple of hours i noticed we are not receiving any email from outside, i undid my changes and still, i have been looking for few days for what is the problem but useless

i tried telnet with 3 of my friends one in the same city (result are ok) and the two are in UAE and Ukraine (not even pinging)

i tried localecho but i received nothing and when i hit enter i get connection to local host lost

I’m out of the ideas, could someone help me please

wullieb1

Re: Not receiving external email

hakmeh;271217 wrote:
    Hi,
    We have Exchange 2003 installed on Server 2003 on our domain with ISA 2006.

Several days ago i changed both sender and recipient filters and applied it over the SMTP protocol, after couple of hours i noticed we are not receiving any email from outside, i undid my changes and still, i have been looking for few days for what is the problem but useless

i tried telnet with 3 of my friends one in the same city (result are ok) and the two are in UAE and Ukraine (not even pinging)

i tried localecho but i received nothing and when i hit enter i get connection to local host lost

I’m out of the ideas, could someone help me please

Where did you make the changes?? On the ISA server??

Can you telnet to the server internally?

Does your domain name resolve correctly?

Go to http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com and try those tests.

Can you set an allow all on the ISA server that will allow all email from any location to the email server.

You haven’t given us enough information to help you.

wullieb1;271220 wrote:
    Where did you make the changes?? On the ISA server??

Can you telnet to the server internally?

Does your domain name resolve correctly?

Go to **had to remove the url to reply** and try those tests.

Can you set an allow all on the ISA server that will allow all email from any location to the email server.

You haven’t given us enough information to help you.

First of all let me thank you for your reply and here are my answers

– The change was only made on Exchange 2003
    – When i telnet the server as following “telnet email 25” i get nothing even with local IP (when i try telnet the public IP from inside the domain i get this message “could not open connection to the host, on port 25 : connection failed”)
    – Yes i can resolve it
    – The error i got from Microsoft for Inbound SMTP Email is

Testing TCP port 25 on host email.afsch.edu.sa to ensure it’s listening and open.
    The specified port is either blocked, not listening, or not producing the expected response.

– All exchange ports (SMTP, IMAP, POP3) are open for incoming and outgoing

I forgot to mention that if i send an email to our domain from the outside i don’t get bouncing email

wullieb1

So you logon to the server and run telnet and it doesn’t connect?

If yes then are your Exchange Server services running?

Have you restarted your exchange server?

wullieb1;271226 wrote:
    So you logon to the server and run telnet and it doesn’t connect?

If yes then are your Exchange Server services running?

Have you restarted your exchange server?

– yes
    – the services are running
    – c’mon man this microsoft product, first thing to do is restart the machine then restart the service
    :grin:

wullieb1

hakmeh;271227 wrote:
    – yes
    – the services are running
    – c’mon man this microsoft product, first thing to do is restart the machine then restart the service
    :grin:

Ah but without this information I have to ass-u-me that you done it and we all know what ass-u-me say’s don’t we ;)

Right so back to your issue. Did you remove the Apply Connection Filter on your SMTP Virtual Server?

Have a read here and see if it helps any with resetting it.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2003/security-message-hygiene/Sender-Recipient-Filtering.html

yes i did remove the filters even the one existed before the problem and disables all kind on filtering on the SMTP Virual Server,

one thing i forget o mention but i don’t think it is related, we are listed on the SORBS-SPAM, is it related ???!!!

wullieb1

hakmeh;271231 wrote:
    yes i did remove the filters even the one existed before the problem and disables all kind on filtering on the SMTP Virual Server,

one thing i forget o mention but i don’t think it is related, we are listed on the SORBS-SPAM, is it related ???!!!

The problem lies with the fact that you are unable to telnet to your server from the server. You need to get this working before email will start flowing properly.

Is the SMTP service started and running? If this has stopped you won’t be able to connect via port 25.

Are there any event logs errors or warnings??

wullieb1;271232 wrote:
    The problem lies with the fact that you are unable to telnet to your server from the server. You need to get this working before email will start flowing properly.

Is the SMTP service started and running? If this has stopped you won’t be able to connect via port 25.

Are there any event logs errors or warnings??

so how can i find out the reason for not being able to telnet the server, and would it help if i restore a backup for the whole before the problem or not?

wullieb1

hakmeh;271233 wrote:
    so how can i find out the reason for not being able to telnet the server, and would it help if i restore a backup for the whole before the problem or not?

As per the previous comment I made is the SMTP service on the server running??

Are there any errors in the event logs??

wullieb1;271234 wrote:
    As per the previous comment I made is the SMTP service on the server running??

Are there any errors in the event logs??

The service is running and one repeated error only on the event viewer under application

Source: MSExchangeSA
    Category: MAPI Session
    Event ID: 9175
    Description: The MAPI call ‘OpenMsgStore’ failed with the following error:
    The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance.
    The MAPI provider failed.
    Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
    ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000

wullieb1

hakmeh;271236 wrote:
    The service is running and one repeated error only on the event viewer under application

Source: MSExchangeSA
    Category: MAPI Session
    Event ID: 9175
    Description: The MAPI call ‘OpenMsgStore’ failed with the following error:
    The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance.
    The MAPI provider failed.
    Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
    ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000

Looks like your stores haven’t mounted.

Try some of the steps here

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=9175&eventno=614&source=MSExchangeSA&phase=1

sometime i forgot to mount the store back

wullieb1

hakmeh;271238 wrote:
    sometime i forgot to mount the store back

So does it work now that you’ve mounted the stores??

Can you telnet to the server on port 25??

this is not a current error, this is the only error is showing since the problem stated and it shows only after the restarting the server because i restart the server remotely and sometimes i forget to mount it back directly.
    for short it is mounted since last restart which was yesterday

wullieb1

hakmeh;271241 wrote:
    this is not a current error, this is the only error is showing since the problem stated and it shows only after the restarting the server because i restart the server remotely and sometimes i forget to mount it back directly.
    for short it is mounted since last restart which was yesterday

Your really not helping me with your problem.

This is the 3rd time i have asked if your SMTP service is running as this would cause the problems you are seeing.

tehcamel
    tehcamel

please post the output of the following command from a command prompt.

sc queryex smtpsvc

SERVICE_NAME: smtpsvc
    TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
    STATE : 4 RUNNING
    (STOPPABLE, PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
    WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    CHECKPOINT : 0x0
    WAIT_HINT : 0x0
    PID : 5032
    FLAGS :

tehcamel
    tehcamel

ok.
    SMTP Service is running.

Next, from the computer that you ran the above command on, please paste the output of the following command prompt commands:

telnet localhost 25

tehcamel;271388 wrote:
    ok.
    SMTP Service is running.

Next, from the computer that you ran the above command on, please paste the output of the following command prompt commands:

telnet localhost 25

nothing
    and when i try send an email and check netstat -o i get state waiting then FIN_Wait_1268

tehcamel
    tehcamel

remove and recreate all your SMTP instances. There’s something wrong with it.

tehcamel;271392 wrote:
    remove and recreate all your SMTP instances. There’s something wrong with it.

you mean the connector “SMTP Virtual server”? if you do i already removed it and created manually and nothing changed then removed it and created via the wizard also same result

i was planning to re-install the exchange all over again, what do you think?

hakmeh;271393 wrote:
    you mean the connector “SMTP Virtual server”? if you do i already removed it and created manually and nothing changed then removed it and created via the wizard also same result

i was planning to re-install the exchange all over again, what do you think?

hello, anyone?

Ossian

Please remember all members here give up their free time to answer your questions, and there is no SLA for answers. No response in 12 hours at a weekend is reasonable — most of us do have (a) real working lives and (b) family and social commitments as well as our virtual lives here.

If you really need a response in such a timescale consider calling Microsoft Product Support Services, who will put a team of engineers onto your particular case immediately. Obviously there are $light difference$ between their $upport and what you get here :twisted:

A repair install of Exchange is (IMHO) a last resort and, from a quick review of this thread, I doubt if you have exhausted all other options. For example, have you run the BPAs? Have you taken ISA out of the loop? Have you tracked email to see where the problem is occuring?

Ossian;271409 wrote:
    Please remember all members here give up their free time to answer your questions, and there is no SLA for answers. No response in 12 hours at a weekend is reasonable — most of us do have (a) real working lives and (b) family and social commitments as well as our virtual lives here.

If you really need a response in such a timescale consider calling Microsoft Product Support Services, who will put a team of engineers onto your particular case immediately. Obviously there are $light difference$ between their $upport and what you get here :twisted:

A repair install of Exchange is (IMHO) a last resort and, from a quick review of this thread, I doubt if you have exhausted all other options. For example, have you run the BPAs? Have you taken ISA out of the loop? Have you tracked email to see where the problem is occuring?

first of all let me apologize because of the time difference, i forgot that it is weekend for you while it the beginning of the week here, so am sorry for that :oops:

actually when i called microsoft reps in our region the first option was restart as usual then after short series of question i was asked to re-install the exchange. I tried the ExPBA, i took the isa out, i even took the risk and removed the antivirus and spam out while the server is exposed to the internet but still the situation without any changes at all

so again sorry to bother you but unfortunately no one could find what the problem is even a paid exchange consultant could not find out the problem or me on the Internet.

anyway i’ll let you know if re-installing the exchange fixed the problem or not

Ossian

Well, it would have been very helpful to have known what you had tried already — unfortunately psychic powers are not yet standard issue for network admins :twisted:

Please remember that people trying to help you here depend on the information you give to offer advice, so if you do not mention something, or give detail, you will not get appropriate, focussed, advice from us.

Note that there is a big difference between calling “microsoft reps” who probably wouldn’t have a clue if it bit them, and PSS, who are the real experts, and will work a problem till it is solved (for a fixed price, which means sometimes their hourly rate is more or less slave labour :lol:).

Good luck with the reinstall – you may need it :twisted: I hope you have good backups first.

tehcamel
    tehcamel

and whether it is, or isn;t the weekend, or what time zone you’re in, it’s irelevant. Ossian’s point remains.

tehcamel;271421 wrote:
    and whether it is, or isn;t the weekend, or what time zone you’re in, it’s irelevant. Ossian’s point remains.

I already have apologized because i know Ossain have valid point and i’m sorry again.

Anyway windows crashed while i war trying to re-install the exchange server so i have to install windows all over again and i did not upgrade to Exchange 2013 because the whole infrastructure need to be upgrade, after windows i re-installed the ESM and i did the telnet and it worked and here the results “so i think it was windows problem”

220 email.afsch.edu.sa Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.1830 read
    y at Tue, 9 Apr 2013 13:17:25 +0300
    ehlo
    250-email.afsch.edu.sa Hello [127.0.0.1]
    250-TURN
    250-SIZE 2097152
    250-ETRN
    250-PIPELINING
    250-DSN
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-8bitmime
    250-BINARYMIME
    250-CHUNKING
    250-VRFY
    250 OK

but when i opened the ESM and tried to mount the mailbox store and public folder i get error c1041721 when i asked google the wizard it showed that the information store service is not running, when i checked the services there was no such thing as Exchange Information Store Service, and I checked that the SMTP, IIS, and asp.net are already installed.

anyway i trying to fix this problem and i’ll update the post as i just did for anyone how could face this problem which i doubt

but anyway keep smiling

thanks

Ossian

This is the point when I very strongly recommend you give up on trying to fix things yourself (with or without forum advice) and either get Microsoft onto the job or get a consultant. Your priority at present is to get everything back to the status quo ante, so email is flowing properly. Only after that should you consider any upgrades or anything else.

One question — what sort of “reinstall of exchange” did you do?

actually i called microsoft and they are starting tomorrow to fix the problem remotely with me, i already gave up yesterday when it crashed and contacted them :). for your question the normal re-install from the exchange CD before trying to remove the whole thing and install all over again because it is like a thorn in the throat

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.