Netbios turns off

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar jcurran21 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nbolds442

I have one user that is having an odd issue where Netbios turns off & I can not turn it back on though the tcp/ip wins tab. The only way that I have found to get it back on is via a system restore. This issue may happen every morning on boot for a week then not occur for a month.

I have
    -uninstalled and reinstalled the network card drivers
    -replaced the network card
    -used netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ip reset reset.log,
    -checked the DHCP server and it is not setup to turn it off, just to be sure I put it on a static for a while
    -used regshot before and after a system restore (377,000 changes are to many to sort though)
    -and finally formatted and reloaded the OS.

The format and reload turned netbios back on but only for a couple of weeks. I have been unable to recreate the issue intentionally. This has been going on for a year and is driving me crazy.

Also should have added from the begining
    This is an XP SP3 machine on a SBS2003 domain.

Anonymous

Re: Netbios turns off

have you uses primary DNS suffix ..??

Ossian

Er… what has WINS got to do with DNS?

@nbolds — apart from the annoyance, is it having any side effects or can you live with DNS only?

uk_network

On the local computer have you checked the status of the service in services.msc
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper.
    Check that it is started/automatic and that recovery is set to restart the service

jcurran21

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper is started. Good thought sorry it took so long to get back to you, but it’s been behaving for a while now.

jcurran21

Progress.

I was doing some more research and found that NetBIOS will only work under a couple of NodeTypes. The PC with the issue is set to unknown the other PCs are all hybrid. According to MS I can add the key
    HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesNetBTParametersNodeType dword=8
    and that will force it to a hybrid node type, however I have done this and rebooted node type is still set to unknown. The reg key is still the way I set it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.