Need to resolve external domain although zone is internal

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services DNS Need to resolve external domain although zone is internal

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar hardy 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    humantrafik

Hi there,

Not the best at DNS so please bear with me.

We have DNS on 2012 server with several zones. One of the zones we added: domain.co.uk is required to resolve several A records internally however, we have a sub domain: abc.domain.co.uk which is hosted by AWS. If our internal users try to access abc.domain.co.uk via a web browser it will result in ‘Page cannot be displayed’ which presumably because it tries to resolve through this zone. If I delete the zone it will work once I flush dns on my machine. So I guess what I am asking what is the method (if any) to force abc.domain.co.uk externally?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Ossian

Have you put a record for abc (IP pointing to AWS) inside your domain.co.uk internal domain?
    (That assumes you want one record only)
    If you need more than one, create a new DNS zone abc.domain.co.uk and put in records – I have just tested this and they resolve OK

hardy

Thank you Ossian,

Think I was overlooking the simple method you suggested. We need the the abc.domain.co.uk zone for various SRV records and no doubt this will grow. As you suggested I created A record with abc created in abc.domain.co.uk zone with external IP which resolves fine.

Thanks again much appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.