need help to finalize my sbs 2008 setup, too many hairs pulled out

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 need help to finalize my sbs 2008 setup, too many hairs pulled out

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  jsabian 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
  • kamiz9999

Hello Guys.

I do not have 5 posts so I could not place the screenshots with img embedded so just place http to see the screenshot, sorry about that

I am trying since beginning of january to make a make sbs 2008 and exchange 2007 working.
    My ultimate goal is to have a dozen of blackberry devices working on blackberry enterprise server plans with blackberry server express on the top of sbs and exchange 2007.

So I will train to explain all the steps I have done with the most details possible.

My hardware ibm x346 server quad core xeon 74 gb in raid 1 with 6gb of ram
    software : sbs 2008 exchange 2007
    SSL certificate : digicert ssl UC certificate
    Static IP
    domain name : registered with Enom

I have through the reading of :
    -how to cheat at configuring exchange 2007
    -windows small business server 2008 administrator companion
    -small business server 2008 installation, migration, and configuration
    -mastering windows small business server 2008

I have successfully installed the sbs 2008 software, right now I am blocked with 2 problems I could not find a solution in any of the books or online.

1st Question :
    what is the address I should put in the dns of my domain registrar from who I bought the domain name I have on my server ? see screenshot

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/IMG00002-20110325-0736.jpg
    ://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/IMG00001-20110325-0736.jpg

2nd question :
    I can not add the UC ssl certificate I bought from digicert, I did the export import process and I can see it in my mmc console but when I launch the wizard add a trusted certificate, I only see the default self issued from sbs 2008. I don t know if
    it could have a link with the the name I saved it, I saved it under mail.mydomain.com and I noticed all the name in the list start by remote…. so do you think renaming my certificate by remote.mydomain.com would solve the problem see screenshot
    the 4 domain SAN used for my certificate are :
    -mail.mydomain.com
    -remote.mydomain.com
    -autodiscover.mydomain.com
    -owa.mydomain.com

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/IMG00003-20110325-0737.jpg

thank you in advance

mhoogev

Re: need help to finalize my sbs 2008 setup, too many hairs pulled out

Well this must be your lucky day,
    you don`t have to change the dns servers,
    what you need to change are some settings in the dns configurator
    of your host. create an mx record a record etc.
    see this article:http://www.petri.com/configure_mx_records_for_incoming_smtp_email_traffic.htm

If you did this correctly after max 48 hours your second problem will be solved as well.
    in short you have to make some changes in your dns configurator.
    if you are unsure just call the helpdesk of your hosting provider explain the situation and they will do it for you.

good luck

Anonymous

Yea just create an A record called remote and point it to your public IP.
    Then create an MX record called remote.yourdomain.com

If your domain is registered with godaddy or register you can let the wizard in sbs 2008 do it for you. It works great. I have setup 8 sbs 2008 servers and I used the wizard on the last one. The wizards will go out to where your domain is registered and change or create these records for you. It will also setup your send and recieve connectors for exchange.

Be sure to go into your router and open ports, 80,25,110,1723,443, and 987.

Also be sure that you let the server handle dhcp and not the router. It will make your life alot easier.

tehcamel

Bolivar;234734 wrote:
    Yea just create an A record called remote and point it to your public IP.
    Then create an MX record called remote.yourdomain.com

If your domain is registered with godaddy or register you can let the wizard in sbs 2008 do it for you. It works great. I have setup 8 sbs 2008 servers and I used the wizard on the last one. The wizards will go out to where your domain is registered and change or create these records for you. It will also setup your send and recieve connectors for exchange.

Be sure to go into your router and open ports, 80,25,110,1723,443, and 987.

Also be sure that you let the server handle dhcp and not the router. It will make your life alot easier.

I was going to rep you for this post – until I saw you say open the firewall ports 110.
    and 987, you only need to open IF you wish to publish company web.

if you’re a nazi like me, you might consider only opening port 25, 1723 and 443. And even then, locking down port 25 to the mimecast or messagelabs range…

cruachan

Dunno why 110 is in there, if you are still using POP3 over the internet I really have to ask why?

However MS recommendations are for 25, 80, 443, 987 and 1723 to be open and I’ve seen a lot of sites still stating that 3389 is required for RWW which was the case in SBS 2003 but not 2008/11 IIRC. 80 isn’t 100% required, but is for redirection purposes.

On an aside, for us control freaks :twisted: , I really dislike the SBS wizards trying to configure routers via UPnP. Horrible idea for security IMO.

teiger

Please replace the term nazis with control freaks;>) The former doesn’t go down well when you consider where the TLD of this site is registered .
    For the record: SBS 2K3 NEVER needed 3389 open for RWW – only 443 and 4125.
    See http://www.sbsfaq.com/?p=916

jsabian

kamiz9999;234674 wrote:

1st Question :
    what is the address I should put in the dns of my domain registrar from who I bought the domain name I have on my server ? see screenshot

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/IMG00002-20110325-0736.jpg
    ://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/IMG00001-20110325-0736.jpg

2nd question :
    I can not add the UC ssl certificate I bought from digicert, I did the export import process and I can see it in my mmc console but when I launch the wizard add a trusted certificate, I only see the default self issued from sbs 2008. I don t know if
    it could have a link with the the name I saved it, I saved it under mail.mydomain.com and I noticed all the name in the list start by remote…. so do you think renaming my certificate by remote.mydomain.com would solve the problem see screenshot
    the 4 domain SAN used for my certificate are :
    -mail.mydomain.com
    -remote.mydomain.com
    -autodiscover.mydomain.com
    -owa.mydomain.com

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/IMG00003-20110325-0737.jpg

First of all, THANK YOU guys ! it seems the best MS exchange forum, here to learn and hope one day I can help myself too, with your support, I successfully went through my 2 problems so here is the solution for my 2 questions :

1st question solution
    I wanted to manage the dns myself, but not the knowledge and time ressource to make it this way, so I ran the internet connection wizard again and as my domain name is registered with Enom, one of the 3 companies who can manage it for you, so I chose Enom to manage my dns and everything got setup automatically in about 24 to 48 hours dns, sfv, txt, mx records
    Happy with that except now I am stuck at another level. I will come back on it after I answer of the second question

2nd question solution
    it seems the name file mismatch was the problem, I saved my 4 SAN .cer file ( mail.mydomain.com , remote.mydomain.com , owa.mydomain.com , autodiscover.com ) under mail_mydomain_com.cer I could see it in the mmc console under certificate as mail.mydomain.com but I could not see it in the wizard add a certificate so I went back on digicert website and saved it under remote_mydomain_com.cer with the same 4 same SAN, installed it on sbs again, launched the wizard and TADA ! It appeared in the list and the installation of the certificate was successfull.

Now I can send mail to administrator at mydomain.com and it goes through, and I created a testone at mydomain.com user and when i send a mail to him it goes through, but I don t know how to go in the mailbox to read them and replied to see if it OK the other way.

when I type :
    s://remote.mydomain.com/owa

I got :

404 – File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

when I type
    s://remote.mydomain.com:987
    from a computer outside my network I can log in as the admin and access the admin panel

NEW QUESTIONS :
    3rd question :
    how can I access my mail and replied to it ?

4th question :
    my server is at home, and I would like the remote control from my office to be able to make the change and speed up the setup

thank you again

mhoogev

3rd Question:
    Open exchange management console
    expand server configuration
    Click Client Access
    Under tab outlook web access right click the little owa folder
    and choose proporties.
    On the general tab check the internal and external URL.

Also be sure that al the correct ports are open on your router or whatever device
    you are using

4th Question:
    i donn`t understand it

Anonymous

If it is setup correctly you should be able to just type “remote.domain.com” in the web browser. You don’t need to put any port numbers on the end.
    You then log in with your domian user and pass. The next screen will give you an option to use owa, connect to a computer including the server, or view the internal web site. You will need to install your certificate. If you used the built in cert it is located in the public/downloads.

Also scratch off port 110 from my list in the earlier post. I got port happy when I was typing :)

I also use logmein.com. They have a free version that works nicely.

jsabian

mhoogev;234959 wrote:
    3rd Question:
    Open exchange management console
    expand server configuration
    Click Client Access
    Under tab outlook web access right click the little owa folder
    and choose proporties.
    On the general tab check the internal and external URL.

Also be sure that al the correct ports are open on your router or whatever device
    you are using

4th Question:
    i donn`t understand it

thank you again

I took again a lot of screenshots, pictures are better than words, again sorry for the link but I should read 10 posts soon for direct picture in my thread so please add http in front to see them

3rd question
    I am stuck, even from my own server I got the same error message gr…..

I did check and I can see the url in the general tab , see picture at :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/0401-owaurl.jpg

I downloaded a port scanner from petri.co.il, see picture at :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/0401-openports.jpg

my sbs console connectivity panel :
    ://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/0401-sbsconsoleconnectivity.jpg

under my sbs console, shared folders and websites. tab websites I see 2 red alerts, see picture :
    ://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/0401-sbsconsoleowa.jpg

when I right on the owa to enable it, I got this message :
    ://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/0401-sbsconsoleowaenablingerror.jpg

4rd question

thank you bolivar for the logmein idea, I used it 3 4 years ago but I thought there was a special app included inside sbs. I will installed log me in tomorrow.

Anonymous

yes from the console click network and go to the list of computers, if you right click on any computer you can choose to send a request to remote to the user on any pc or you can just use terminal services. The request to remote in allows the user to watch what you are doing so you can show them something. The Terminal services will turn their screen black so that can’t see what you are doing.

Havent had a chance to look at your screen shots yet. Will later today.

jsabian

still stuck at the same place, owa not working,

few screenshots

first one the 2 mailboxes setup, sergioleone at mydomain.com and testone at mydomain.com see picture :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/mailboxes.jpg

my main admin mailbox sergioleone properties, you can see there are few emails in my box ( I can not read them yet ) :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/sergioleoneproperties.jpg

my test user mailbox, with 2 emails in it :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/testoneproperties.jpg

I tried to use the option “fix my network” and got the same message I had at the beginning of my setup, problem with router, but all the ports needed are open as seen in my previous post, screenshot of the router problem :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/potentialnetworkissues.jpg

I can access my home office server from my main office with logmein with no problem at all

I don t know how to fix the owa access

thank you all in advance

biggles77
    Spectator

Have you Port Forwarded the appropriate ports to the IP of the Server?

Does OWA work from inside the network?

jsabian

biggles77;235388 wrote:
    Have you Port Forwarded the appropriate ports to the IP of the Server?

Does OWA work from inside the network?

as put in my previous post the port 443 for owa is open, I forward to the ip of my server

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/0401-openports.jpg

I will post tomorrow a screen of the port forwarding menu to proove it

owa not working from inside either same 404 mistake

the good news is I reach 5 post so now my screenshots can appear directly in my threads

if we go by owa issues, what could be the different reasons owa can not work ?
    my ssl certificate is installed, I can received mails, last problem is this owa issue, I don t get it, and even in the 5 books I have it all explain how to set it up but there no troubleshooting in any of these books

thank you

jsabian

kamiz9999;235325 wrote:
    still stuck at the same place, owa not working,

few screenshots

first one the 2 mailboxes setup, sergioleone at mydomain.com and testone at mydomain.com see picture :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/mailboxes.jpg

my main admin mailbox sergioleone properties, you can see there are few emails in my box ( I can not read them yet ) :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/sergioleoneproperties.jpg

my test user mailbox, with 2 emails in it :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/testoneproperties.jpg

I tried to use the option “fix my network” and got the same message I had at the beginning of my setup, problem with router, but all the ports needed are open as seen in my previous post, screenshot of the router problem :

://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kamiz9999/sbs2008/potentialnetworkissues.jpg

I can access my home office server from my main office with logmein with no problem at all

I don t know how to fix the owa access

thank you all in advance

I knew the problem with my previous router, it was not UPNP supported, so I bought a cisco router wrt120n which supports UPNP so after 3 hours set up and port forwarding see screenshots :

upnp_enabled.jpg
    open_ports.jpg

so I chose the option FIX MY NETWORK in the SBS CONSOLE and I got that :

fix_my_network.jpg
    fix_my_network_no_issue.jpg

so problem solved for the open ports and router issue

I can not access OWA internally or externally, still 404 error :

owa_properties.jpg
    owa_error.jpg
    0104-owaerror.jpg

so with my little knowledge I see only 2 places where I need to modify something to make it work

IIS

iss.jpg

or the HOST or MX settings on ENOM.COM

IMG00001-20110325-0736.jpg
    mx_records.jpg

thank you to help me finalize this nightmare

jsabian

I found one part of the solution with the link :

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000205.htm

I follow exactly the step by step and half working

I can now access OWA internally with :

https://remote.mydomain.com/owa

so I can read all my mail but when I reply it goes in the sent emails but it does not go through as I don t receive any of the reply

OWA externally is still not working gr……..

any help is welcome, as I replied to myself these days……

I will post new screenshots tomorrow

jsabian

a screen shot of my internal OWA :
    owa_internally.jpg
    And everything is enabled correctly in my console wizard :
    web_sites_all_enabled.jpg

Someone asked me to run the bpa ( best practice analyzer )
    this is the issues I got with the bpa :
    sbs_bpa_results.jpg
    sbs_bpa_results1.jpg
    sbs_bpa_results2.jpg

it seems all my set up is good, but something is blocking the email to go through both ways and I got page not found for OWA and RWW externally, something in IIS I am sure, but I don t have the knowledge to play with that.

could someone help me please ? thank you

teiger

Disable (in any case) second NIC. If you can’t do so in the BIOS at least do it in Control Panel

jsabian

teiger;235874 wrote:
    Disable (in any case) second NIC. If you can’t do so in the BIOS at least do it in Control Panel

I disabled it and after relauching the bpa, the error is gone :

bpa.jpg

still same problem, everything works perfectly internally, I can send email from [email protected] to [email protected] and opposite way but impossible to communicate with the outside world, I can not access OWA EXTERNALLY gr….

Before I could receive email from outside, but now it bounces back.

screenshots of the internal success :

remote_sergioleone.jpg
    owa_internally.jpg
    owa_testone.jpg
    owa_testone.jpg

So I only see 2 reasons it does not work with OWA EXTERNALLY and emails outside the network. :

1-BAD ROUTER SETUP
    I use PPPOE connection with Static IP
    so I have the modem, plugged to the router cisco wrt120n, plugged to the server
    I can browse internet on the server no problem

right now DHCP is disable, but for the internet connection this is automatic DHCP, screenshots :
    wrt120n_setup.jpg
    wrt120n_setup2.jpg

2-IIS MANAGER
    I noticed there is one category stopped : DEFAULT WEB SITE , when I try to start it, it says another port is already using it

IIS_manager2.jpg
    IIS_manager.jpg

I just hope someone can help to finish my nightmare :bowdown:

mhoogev

de reason i can think of is the send connector to external domains.
    did you set this up?

beddo

Wowza, there’s certainly a lot in this thread and it is difficult to make your way through it. From what I understand you have two problems:

1) You can receive mail from the outside world but not send mail to the outside world

2) You cannot access OWA from the outside world.

For 1) it is possible your ISP does not allow direct sending of mail and you need to send mail via their relay server. If you go to the SBS Console, then Getting Started Tasks you should see “Configure a Smart Host for Internet e-mail”. If the details here are incorrect in any way, you will not be able to send mail.

For 2) have you tried to access OWA via http://remote.domain.com/owa and via your external IP (ie http://111.222.333.444/owa)

Since you got the 404 error fixed, you haven’t actually said what is coming up. What error are you getting when trying to access from the outside? That will point you in the right direction.

jsabian

well I can log in with localhost owa
    screenshots :
    localowa.jpg
    localowain.jpg
    by reading some other threads :
    -I made an nslookup on smtp and mx and it gave me the ip address of the server, so no problem here
    -I used the the link http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com and I got an error on the inbound smtp 25
    inboundsmtpfailed.jpg
    the outbound is ok
    outbound.jpg

I will check with my send receive connetors and I will post my screenshots tomorrow about it. I can not stop thinking about this server setup nightmare

Should I try another router or nothing to do with the hardware ? I am using cisco wrt120n

again thank you for the help

beddo

OK, so external mail does not work inbound or outbound then?

Just because your MX records resolve doesn’t always mean they are right. Do you have a static IP from your ISP? If not then your IP will keep changing and your MX/A records will not be updated when it does. This would make sense of the fact that the inbound email was working before but is now bouncing back.

Go to http://www.ipchicken.com/ and confirm that your IP is what you expect it to be, if not call your ISP and get a static.

Could you please test OWA from the outside using the IP as I asked and post the exact error you get? The result may give an indication as to the problem but knowing nothing other than it is not working does not help anyone help you.

We have used those Linksys boxes (they are “Linksys by Cisco” rather than actual Cisco devices) before and they have caused a few headaches but they should work for the basics.

You have already posted screenshots of things that work, you don’t need to do it again. There’s far too many screen shots in this thread and it makes things difficult to follow.

jsabian

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Name Address: myip.dsl.teksavvy.com [/FONT]green.gif[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remote Port: 61781 [/FONT]

yes Beddo, I have a static IP address and ipchicken result is my static ip

concerning trying owa with my ip

I tried
    [URL]http://myip/owa[/URL] result : the connection was reset

[URL]https://myip/owa[/URL] result : the connection has timed out

concerning the screenshots, pictures are better than words and as I consider myself a newbie, I prefered this way, but no problem, screenshots will be on demand

jsabian

ok BIG NEWS :lol:

I found the problem, it is an hardware issue.
    Just to refresh, I have a static IP with a PPPOE internet connection

-with
    modem speedstream 4200

> router cisco

> server x346

no owa externally and no email both side

but no error in fix my network

-with
    modem router speedstream 6520

> server x346

everything working owa internally and externally, rww both ways too
    I can receive emails but I can NOT send emails from the server

om testexchangeconnectivity.com for internet email test inbound and outbound are going through now with no error

but error in fix my network :

IMG00086-20110421-0751.jpg

upnp is enabled :

IMG00085-20110421-0751.jpg

and all ports forwarded :

IMG00083-20110421-0750.jpg

so how can I fix this router error in fix my network ?

these are the screeshots of the EMC, organization configuration, hub transport, send connectors :

IMG00075-20110420-0644.jpg
    IMG00076-20110420-0644.jpg
    IMG00077-20110420-0644.jpg

so 2 final questions I guess to make it work :

1-so how can I fix this router error in fix my network ?

2-is there something to change in outgoing mail properties

thank you

beddo

Just ignore that “error”, it isn’t really and error – all of our SBS servers show it because we configure the routers manually. If everything is working then don’t worry about it.

Similarly with the email – it looks like you have a smart host and it is working if mail runs properly so its all fine.

jsabian

beddo;236507 wrote:
    Just ignore that “error”, it isn’t really and error – all of our SBS servers show it because we configure the routers manually. If everything is working then don’t worry about it.

Similarly with the email – it looks like you have a smart host and it is working if mail runs properly so its all fine.

well everything runs perfectly EXCEPT I can not send email to the internet, I can receive any mail but when I reply to it, it does not go through

so something wrong in my send connectors no ?

is it normal FQDN is emtpy in my outgoing mail properties ?

could I change the port ?

what would be the other options without the smarthos ? I don t mind paying a third party to route the mail.

I am on that since new year and just would like to finish this nightmare

jsabian

I got it working finally by myself

I just choose the option use mx of the domain registrar who is enom in my case and voila !!!

so I checked the box in outgoinf mail properties, network tab in EMC :

use domain system (DNS) MX records to route mail automatically

instead of smart host.

I feel so good, thank you for the help guys.

I need to read about backup solution now

teiger

Glad you got it working.
    BTW I think I noticed in one of your screenshots that you let the router do DHCP. This is not a best practice and SBS should be configured to be your DHCP server.

beddo

kamiz9999;236518 wrote:
    well everything runs perfectly EXCEPT I can not send email to the internet, I can receive any mail but when I reply to it, it does not go through

Sorry I missed the bit where you said that amongst the screen shots. If you have any issues with mail going through to some places and not others you might want to try putting the smart host back in and getting it working.

Glad you got there in the end – sometimes the hard work and persistence pays off.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.