Nas for exch

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar bigalusn 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bigalusn
    Participant

I know using an exeternal drive is a no, no especially if it’s a USB drive, but is it possible to use a NAS device? Can I config a NAS to store the stores and logs?

Windows 2003/2008 servers, two AD’s. One exch 2007 stand ed sever on windows server 2003 all patched up and up to date.

cruachan
    Participant

Re: Nas for exch

The only form of network storage supported by Exchange is iSCSI AFAIK.

bigalusn
    Participant
    Sembee

You can use a NAS, if it supports iSCSI.
    However if you are thinking one of the low end consumer NAS drives then they aren’t really quick enough.

What you want is a SAN.

Although personally I wouldn’t bother with spending money on external storage, get a new server instead. Storage is cheap and Windows 2003 is almost out of support. Get something you can install Windows 2008 on to.

Simon.

bigalusn
    Participant

yes was thinking about getting a new Dell server, with Win Serv 2012 and upgrading Exch 2007 to Exch 2010 or 2013 all together.

the External option isn’t my fav solution as well.

LSainsbury

bigalusn;276687 wrote:
    I know using an exeternal drive is a no, no especially if it’s a USB drive, but is it possible to use a NAS device? Can I config a NAS to store the stores and logs?

Care to expand on that? We have SBS2011 servers which have Symantec Backup Exec backing up to USB drives.

What’s the problem with this solution?

Ossian

No problem with external or NAS drives for backups, but the Exchange databases need to be on DAS or a SAN

LSainsbury

Ossian;276921 wrote:
    No problem with external or NAS drives for backups, but the Exchange databases need to be on DAS or a SAN

Yes – I just re-read the question – my bad – sorry!

I thought the OP was talking about backup of the DBs – no actual storage for day-to-day use – yes that would be bad!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.