Move user profile from one domain to another

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Move user profile from one domain to another

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ErdemGulhan 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JJJCR

hi, how to move a user profile from one domain to another? Workstation is using XP OS. What’s the right tool to do this. Thank you.

Ossian

Re: Move user profile from one domain to another

Probably (for small numbers of users) use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    For large numbers, use USMT (which will, IIRC, require a domain trust)

Anonymous

hi, thanks for the reply for USMT, do i need to run it in client workstation or from the server? sorry never use USMT before.. thanks..

Ossian

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722032(WS.10).aspx
    (among a large number of other hits :lol:)

Review all the requirements as this is a domain level tool that has a fair amount of preliminary set up needed

How many users are you needing to migrate?

Anonymous

i’ll be migrating 20 users…so i do need to establish a trust from the server to workstation so i can use this tool right? thanks…

Ossian

Personally (and others will disagree) I suggest for 20 users you stick with the tried and trusted manual method:
    On the computer in the old domain, run Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, directing the output to a network share or removable drive
    Copy the share to the new domain
    Join the computer to the new domain
    Log on with the new user account then run FSTW again, acquiring data from the (new domain) share or plugging in the drive

Yes, its labour intensive, but your users could (with simple instructions) do both sides of it.

IMHO, the work to set up USMT will be far greater than the effort this takes

L4ndy

JJJCR;197411 wrote:
    hi, thanks for the reply for USMT, do i need to run it in client workstation or from the server? sorry never use USMT before.. thanks..

It depends on what types of profiles you have. If you have local profiles and you need to migrate the user data then it needs to be run on the workstation where those are stored. If you have centrilised profiles (Roaming, Mandatory) then as Ossian suggested just copy the data across manually.

USMT has go two main functions as you have notice, Scanstate and Scanload.
    The first one scans for user data in the source machine and stores them either in a share or external USB device. And the scanload function restores that data in the target machine.
    The command CLI interface of USMT puts a lot of people off (inc myself) but it’s nonetheless a great tool to use. Even better there is a GUI wrapper available: http://dcunningham.net/sysadmin-tools/migration-assistant/

Anonymous

hi guys, thanks for all the help..i just use the FSTW. so far it works fine.. :)

ErdemGulhan

Had the same challenge, and found this thread. Unfortunately, things are no longer that easy with Windows 10… And USMT is a bit out of my league with just 35 users.
    Anyway, found this tutorial which seems to bridge the gap:
    [MOD EDIT COMMERCIAL LINK REMOVED]

Hope this helps!

Ossian

Damn, resurrecting a nearly 6 year old thread to push a commercial product…. bloody spammers get everywhere….. :evil:

danielp
    Participant

Haha… death by spam. In Saudi Arabia they probably have a punishment for this.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.