Missing files ?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  weirdo 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • jason0923
    Participant

I realize the answer is probably no but doesn’t hurt to ask. We have a VM file server (ESXI) that had a folder deleted probably a year or more ago. Its not in our current backups. Are there any VMware or windows recovery tricks we can to do recover that at this point?

Ossian

On the off chance you have a snapshot (checkpoint) from just before the deletion, you could look there, otherwise you are AFAIK, out of luck. Volume Shadow Copies hold a max of 64 at (default) 2 copies per day, so the normal route is to an appropriately aged backup.

It sounds as if some user re-education is needed – a cricket bat (baseball bat as a left-pondian alternative) makes a suitable re-education tool.

weirdo

Oh believe me if we could do user training here I would but we are a school district and we’re not allowed to require teachers or staff to do any training. Our backups only go back 45 days, I did find an un-delete tool that could see the files on the disk so we bought it. I was able to export the files to my PC. The problem is none of them (mostly excel and PDFs) open. Its as if they are all corrupted. Might there be any tools that can repair these files or are we out of luck?

Blood
    Blood
    jason0923;n515865 wrote:
    Oh believe me if we could do user training here I would but we are a school district and we’re not allowed to require teachers or staff to do any training. …

That’s ridiculous. How are they supposed to learn how to use the system. If they don’t require training, they don’t require support…

After a quick web search, it seems you’re not alone in this. Here’s a few reasons why recovery of deleted files can’t be relied on: https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/6-main-reasons-cant-open-recovered-files/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.