Migration Guide for 2k12 Essentials R2 to 2016 Essentials?

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2016 Migration Guide for 2k12 Essentials R2 to 2016 Essentials?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by JeremyW JeremyW 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    IT-Freely
    Participant

Hi all.

I’ve got a server running 2012 r2 Essentials and want to migrate it to 2016 Essentials.

I tried an in place upgrade previously but that didn’t go well and had to roll back the VM that was in play there.

I’ve decided to do a manual swing migration, but it’s clear MS hates their own product as they no longer have the migration mode they claim is there in the documentation.

As such I’m looking over older guides and I’m still coming up short on steps.

I’m assuming at this point I need to:

– cancel the essentials wizard once it pops up

– rename server

– join server to existing domain governed by 2012 essentials

– xfer fsmo roles over to new server

– set up dns (no DHCP as that’s handled by pfsense) and xfer primary roles over to new server

– setup other necessities like remote web gateway and mount the iscsi target and move shares to be housed from new server

– xfer main ad duties to new server

– repoint remaining firewall rules for some items over to see server from old

– shutdown old server and point dns entry for it to new server (and add in primary IP into nic config as one of the alt IP addresses)

Anything I’m missing?

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Hi IT-Freely (nice name :) )

That sounds good to me but I really don’t have much experience with Essentials. SBS 2011 was that product of that ilk I worked with a lot. Two things though:

1.  “(and add in primary IP into nic config as one of the alt IP addresses)” I strongly recommend not doing this and rather just reconfigure anything that is pointed to the old IP. Multiple IPs on a DC is frowned upon and can cause issues.
    2. Consider moving DHCP to the server. You’ll generally have better stats, configuration options, and easier management. At least that’s what I’ve experienced.

Jeremy

IT-Freely
    Participant

Thanks!

I know it’s not best practice but having an alt IP will work as a nice stop gap until I can fully move some things around

I originally had DHCP running via windows but between issues serving vlans and wanting DHCP to work in between updates and.outages, opted for DHCP vis my pfsense box. Actually works far better in my scenario.

JeremyW
    JeremyW

Sounds good. Let us know if anything comes up that you have questions on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.