Managing Roaming Profile power users

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 Managing Roaming Profile power users

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Anonymous 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GlendaTucker

We have a SBS 2003 server. We are using roaming profiles. Each user is set up as a power user. All machines are WinXP prof.

We are using SAP and each time a patch is issued, the IT guy has to go to each machine and log on as admin to install the patch. Is there an easier way
    when the users are set as power users that the server admin can push out these patches automatically without us having to logon as admin?

If so, could you provide the navigation/procedure?

thanks

Glenda Tucker

Ossian

Re: Managing Roaming Profile power users

What format are the patches in?
    If they are a .msi or .msp they can be rolled out by Group Policy

Anonymous

I think they are .msi
    Can you give me a round about idea how to do this?

thanks,

teiger

:google: is your friend

Anonymous

Here is a link to the Microsoft site on their white paper to use GPO to push software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

Why not just put the domain users group as a member of the local admin group on each machine? I know that might not be the best way to do it, but in a lot of companies that works well.

wis

teiger

wisdum;199587 wrote:
    Why not just put the domain users group as a member of the local admin group on each machine? I know that might not be the best way to do it, but in a lot of companies that works well.

wis

I know that SBS wizards make the users local admins, but common “wisdum” these days says make the users as dumb as possible for security reasons and reducing attack vectors. That is one reason that on Vista/Weven, there is the UAC even if you are an administrator.

Ossian

teiger;199736 wrote:
    but common “wisdum” these days says make the users as dumb as possible for security reasons and reducing attack vectors.

And I thought it was just to match their real-life capabilities :twisted: :lol:

Anonymous

Thanks for the information. This was helpful.

This issue has been resolved.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Managing Roaming Profile power users’ is closed to new replies.