Location of "Windows Help and Support" file

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 Location of "Windows Help and Support" file

This topic contains 36 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by tehcamel tehcamel 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    janetb

I had a “Windows Help and Support” entry in the Start Menu which I believe came with the installation (?). It disappeared. Where in the system does it live (so I can put it back in the Start Menu)?

Ossian

Re: Location of "Windows Help and Support" file

Right Click Start Button,
    Select PROPERTIES
    Select START MENU tab then click CUSTOMIZE button
    Search for tick box “Help”

janetb

It already was checked.

Tried unchecking Help, applying, closing, and then rechecking, applying, and closing. But it still does not appear in my Start menu. That’s why I would like to know where the file is so I can r-click it and click on “Pin to Start Menu”.

Janet

wullieb1

Have you tried a SFC /SCANNOW to see if there are any problems with the files??

janetb

Why does the phrase “It’s not a coincidence” appear next to my name on all posts?? How can I get rid of it? It’s not something I would say, and I don’t know how it got there…..Couldn’t find it anywhere in my account to edit….

Janet

janetb

wullieb1;258666 wrote:
    Have you tried a SFC /SCANNOW to see if there are any problems with the files??

Have no idea what that is…:-)….

Janet

wullieb1

janetb;258667 wrote:
    Why does the phrase “It’s not a coincidence” appear next to my name on all posts?? How can I get rid of it? It’s not something I would say, and I don’t know how it got there…..Couldn’t find it anywhere in my account to edit….

Janet

Its part of the forum and as far as i know can’t be changed.

wullieb1

janetb;258668 wrote:
    Have no idea what that is…:-)….

Janet

Go to Start and in the search box type sfc /scannow and press enter and it should start checking your system files. Have your disk ready just in case it is needed.

I’m not at a Windows 7 box at the moment but can look tomorrow for anything else.

janetb

wullieb1;258669 wrote:
    Its part of the forum and as far as i know can’t be changed.

How come no one else has it…:-?….?

Janet

wullieb1

janetb;258671 wrote:
    How come no one else has it…:-?….?

Janet

There are people with it.

Search the users section for people with more than 50 posts and you’ll find other users that have the same thing.

I think it changes depending on the number of posts you make.

Ossian

It does
    Lets stick with the immediate problem — help and support files
    Does the problem apply to other user profiles or just yours?

janetb

wullieb1;258672 wrote:
    There are people with it.

Search the users section for people with more than 50 posts and you’ll find other users that have the same thing.

I think it changes depending on the number of posts you make.

Went to Members List;
    Sorted by numer of posts;
    The first 16 pages (~30/page) have over 50 posts;
    Didn’t find any with “It’s not a coincidence”…….

Is the “users section” different from the Members List?

janetb

Ossian;258676 wrote:
    It does
    Lets stick with the immediate problem — help and support files
    Does the problem apply to other user profiles or just yours?

DSKCHK found no problems.

I’m the only profile. No one else has ever used the computer. There is no network–just the single computer.

If I could just find out the location of the help and support launcher file, I could just r-click and pin. Is there no such file?

Ossian

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/136036-windows-help-support-shortcut-create.html

Note not tested

biggles77
    Spectator

janetb;258667 wrote:

Janet

0 to 49 posts = Casual
    50 – 149 posts = It’s not a coincidence
    150 – 299 posts = Staying around
    300 – 499 posts = Here to help
    500 – 999 posts = Someone to look up to
    1000 – 4999 posts = Guru
    5000+ posts = Wrote the book

I’m sure I have got some of the numbers wrong but the seemingly objectionable It’s not a coincidence is a recognition of your continual membership of the site and usually the Member’s contributions to helping others. As you can see from my rough list this “recognition” changes according to the number of posts one make.

I hope this now explains why the particular phrase is under your nic but I fail to see why you appeared to be so distraught about it and the time I have wasted to alleviate your fears as the the source of the annoying phrase that seems to have consumed 50% of this thread.

janetb

This put the desired shortcut on my Desktop, but I can’t pin it to my Start Menu:

a) If I r-click the shortcut, I don’t get a “Pin to Start Menu” option.
    b) If I put it in my Start Menu folder in Explorer, it does not show up in the Start Menu.
    c) Note that Help is checked in the Customize Start Menu in the Properties window.

Ossian

Sorry, I can’t come up with anything helpful…
    Will do a test and revert later

wullieb1

I’v just followed the instructions given by Tom @ http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/136036-windows-help-support-shortcut-create.html and could successfully pin it to my Start menu.

Can you please take a screenshot and post so that we can see the following:

a) Start Menu with the missing help file.
    b) Start Menu customisation screen with the help box checked.

I’ve tried to delete my Help & Support option from the Start Menu and cannot do it, i do have admin rights.

Have you scanned for Malware and viruses?? I had an XP machine yesterday with a virus that removed pretty much everything from the users desktop, program list and start menu.

Did you run the sfc /scannow??

Ossian

OK, got a chance to test it in Server 2008 (Win7 SHOULD behave exactly the same way)
    Created desktop shortcut using method 2 in the link I provided
    Left dragged to start button and got “Pin to Start Menu” popup
    Released and there it was…

Note I had Help and Support on the Right Hand column of the start menu already, but can’t see that making a difference

Concur with Wullie’s suggestion on checking for Malware etc.

Also, just to humour me, can you create another user account and log on as that, to see if they have the proper link?

janetb

wullieb1;258900 wrote:
    I’ve tried to delete my Help & Support option from the Start Menu and cannot do it, i do have admin rights.

Have you scanned for Malware and viruses??
    Did you run the sfc /scannow??

1. I deleted my Help & Support option from the RIGHT Start Menu by unchecking Help in the Customize Start Menu in the Properties window.

2. Avira AntiVir keeps my machine real clean.

3. As I wrote in my 15th May 2012, 15:28 post:

Janet

janetb

Dear Folks,

It seems my last two posts did not get posted (I sent via email reply, not from site), so here they are:

17-May-12 5:36 PM

I was able to simply drag the shortcut now on the desktop (from your link) to the left side of the Start menu (which is where I wanted it). However, the problem remains because this forces me to keep the new shortcut on my desktop (which I definitely don’t want)….

So the question remains how to return “Help and Support” to the left side of the Start menu as a direct shortcut rather than a shortcut to a shortcut.

Any info regarding what sort of an animal “Help and Support” (%windir%explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f1-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0} ) is would be appreciated. I gather it is not a location….?

17-May-12 6:04 PM

Problem Solved:

Help and Support does appear on the right side of my Start Menu (I don’t know if it was there all along–I never look at that list because you can’t group or order it, and there are no icons, so you have to read each one). I was able simply to drag it to the left side to pin it there. I like it on the left because it has the icon, (so you see it instantly without having to read anything). Also you can order that column by dragging. I then unchecked “Help” in the Start menu Customize window. This removed “Help and Support” from the right side and, luckily, left it on the left side along with the distinctive icon, as desired. I removed all the unused items from the right side of the Start Menu.

Still would like to know what %windir%explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f1-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0} is…..or where it is….just out of (serious) curiosity….

Thanks to everyone for your help! :beer:
    Janet

Ossian

You mean we’ve been through all of this to move a link from the right side to the left side of the start menu :twisted:

I thought you had lost the link completely and needed it back

janetb

Ossian;258939 wrote:
    I thought you had lost the link completely and needed it back

I do believe that this was in fact the case. Early during the course of these posts, I removed unwanted items from the right Start menu (something I never bothered doing before), so I would have seen “Help and Support” and dragged it across then, had it been there. It apparently eventually appeared somewhere in the course of the different things I was trying, and rebooting.

Using the Customize Start Menu window to get “Help and Support” into the right side menu, then dragging it to the left, and then removing the one we just put on the right seems more like a workaround.
    Using the zip to create a shortcut on the desktop and dragging that to the left Start menu is also a (less satisfactory) workaround (because it requires maintaining the intermediary shortcut on the desktop).

I used these roundabout options because I do not understand what the nature of the “Help and Support” entity is, and where it is located. This ‘mystery’ is of great interest to me, but since the practical problem is solved, I will pursue this issue elsewhere. However, if anyone who comes across this thread has the time and interest to say something about %windir%explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f1-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}, that might truly answer how we can or why we cannot pin “Help and Support” to the left side of the Start menu in the same direct manner that we use for all other entries.

Janet

Ossian

Well, you could start by investigating shell extensions e.g. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144110(v=vs.85).aspx
    then the particular GUID for Help and Support
    http://www.myplugins.info/guids/component_programming.php?guid=25
    This tells us that deep down, windows help is a programmable COM object so if you are a developer, it is meaningful. For example, there is a good workthrough on customising help and support content here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744254(v=ws.10).aspx

Or you could decide that some components in the operating system do not behave in the same way as others, and eventually it is up to MS how something behaves

wullieb1

janetb;258934 wrote:
    1. I deleted my Help & Support option from the RIGHT Start Menu by unchecking Help in the Customize Start Menu in the Properties window.

2. Avira AntiVir keeps my machine real clean.

3. As I wrote in my 15th May 2012, 15:28 post:

Janet

You do realise the there is no such thing as dskchk???

There is however chkdsk which is NOT sfc /scannow.

janetb

wullieb1;258994 wrote:
    You do realise the there is no such thing as dskchk???

There is however chkdsk which is NOT sfc /scannow.

My apologies for the mistaken reversal.

Whatever I actually did do when attempting your suggestion
    (“Go to Start and in the search box type sfc /scannow and press enter and it should start checking your system files.”)
    brought me to a chkdsk window, so I checked C since you said “should start checking your system files”. So I thought I was doing what you said.

So I just tried it again now, and this time got the black window with the white letters, so I guess that is what you meant. Don’t know why I got to something else last time. The black window just disappeared when finished without leaving any message, so I assume everything is OK (?). Thanks for your help.

Janet

janetb

Ossian;258954 wrote:
    Well, you could start by investigating shell extensions e.g. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144110(v=vs.85).aspx
    then the particular GUID for Help and Support
    http://www.myplugins.info/guids/component_programming.php?guid=25
    This tells us that deep down, windows help is a programmable COM object so if you are a developer, it is meaningful. For example, there is a good workthrough on customising help and support content here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744254(v=ws.10).aspx

Thank you very much for these references. I will certainly check them all out. Thank you very much for all your help.

Janet

tehcamel
    tehcamel

according to my very quick, and clearly belated research

“HelpPane.exe” is the process that fires up when you start the Help icon on the right hand side of the menu…

so you could probably create a shortcut to this, then pin that to the start menu.

biggles77
    Spectator

Of course you could always type SUPPORT into the Search program and files dialogue box (you know, it’s just above the Orb).

I cannot believe there have been 28 (now 29) posts on something so trivial. WOMBAT

janetb

tehcamel;259445 wrote:
    according to my very quick, and clearly belated research

“HelpPane.exe” is the process that fires up when you start the Help icon on the right hand side of the menu…

so you could probably create a shortcut to this, then pin that to the start menu.

1. On the right hand side of what menu…?

2. When I double-click HelpPane.exe (C:Windowswinsxsamd64_microsoft-windows-help-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_c80d81c947c7b794), nothing happens. Does it open something for you?

Janet

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Location of "Windows Help and Support" file’ is closed to new replies.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By