Learning to love the social spotlight (for IT pros)

Home Forums General Chat MJF Chat Learning to love the social spotlight (for IT pros)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brad Sams Brad Sams 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mary Jo Foley

Our next MJFChat, scheduled for Monday September 16, is between me and Harjit “Hoorge” Dhaliwal. The general topic of our chat is how IT pros can learn to love the social spotlight.

What questions do you have for Hoorge about building your own personal brand and professional networking? Any specific work scenarios about which you’d like to get some tips and tricks? No question is too big or too trivial. I’ll be chatting with Hoorge on September 16, and will ask some of your best questions directly to him. Just add your questions below and maybe you’ll be mentioned during our next audio chat.

Brad Sams
    Brad Sams
    Keymaster

You can find the audio playback, here.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>00:00</u> Hi, you’re listening to Petri.com MJFChat show. I am Mary Jo Foley, aka your Petri.com community magnet. And I’m here to interview tech industry experts about various topics that you, our readers and listeners want to know about. Today’s MJFchat is going to be all about how it pros, introverts included, can learn to love the social spotlight. My guest today is Harjit Dhailwal, a senior, CIS admin and tech evangelists. Many of us call him Hoorge, which is his self appointed nickname. Welcome Hoorge.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>00:43</u> Hi. Thank you.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>00:45</u> Yeah, thanks for joining us on the chat today.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>00:48</u> Yeah, no problem. This is a pleasure.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>00:51</u> Thanks. Great. So I was trying to remember how I met you and I think it was maybe an Ignite or two ago and you were one of the community reporters and that’s how we first met in person. Is that how we met?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>01:05</u> Yeah, I think, right? I think so. I know you and I have connected over Twitter and stuff like that over the years.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>01:12</u> Yeah. Definitely.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>01:13</u> Okay. Yeah, we have a few years ago I was one of the first batch of the community reporters at Ignite. I think there were like 10 of us, so I was busy doing that. But at that particular Ignite, I was also given a responsibility of managing the tweets for Ignite on the live show on day one. That’s where we met because you were planning to do a show as well on the big stage right. I did it again last year. I was also on stage last year as well.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>02:02</u> I saw you there.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>02:02</u> So hopefully maybe I might do that again this year. Who knows.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>02:07</u> Oh nice nice. Yeah, I was thinking you would be the perfect person to talk about social because I’ve seen you in action at places like Ignite and , you always seem to be having fun yet networking and doing a lot of things like managing the Twitter account. So I thought you would be the perfect person to give us some tips and tricks.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>02:27</u> Thank you.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>02:29</u> Yeah. So before we even start though, I need to hear the story behind your name. Hoorge like where did that come from? Cause that’s kind of your social brand at least on Twitter, right?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>02:41</u> Well it has to become a social brand and you know, and a lot of people are telling me, well a few of my friends are like, hey, why don’t you change it? You know, it sounds so weird and stuff like that. And part of me like says, yeah, okay, I’ll try to change it. Even though at @harjit it’s actually taken by someone was just holding that account, but is not using it.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>03:02</u> Oh really? That’s too bad.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>03:05</u> So the way it came about is that I was living in Montreal many, many years ago an, I was working at a pizza place and stuff like that. One of the guys who was working there and we became friends and he just had a hard time pronouncing my name, you know, every time he just kept mutilating it. And one day he says, you know what, I’m just going to call you Hooch. That’s what he said. Everyone once in a while he would come around and say “hey Hooch baby, Hooch baby”

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>03:41</u> No, I think it was around that time when I created my Twitter account. I’m like, what do I want? I want like sky dog or do I want this or that. I said, oh, just go with that. And then that stuck with me now.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>03:52</u> Oh Nice. Nice. That’s a good beginning because it is hard sometimes if you have a certain name to get your own Twitter handle. I was lucky to get my own name, but that doesn’t always happen.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>04:05</u> No. And I was, I’ve been trying to get the other name back, but it’s a tough process with Twitter. So I kinda gave up.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>04:12</u> definitely, yeah.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>04:16</u> I created with this handle that I have now that handle that I have now, I’ve got t-shirts.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>04:21</u> Oh, you do? That’s nice. You can’t go back now, you gotta keep it.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>04:21</u> Yeah yeah.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>04:21</u> Okay. So now that we’ve got your name all figured out here, I thought it would be good to start out by saying why you think it’s important for it pros to try to build their own social presence and their brand. I mean, because if you’re an IT Pro, you know, many people are kind of like reporters. I feel like you’re content to kind of be behind the scenes and be doing your job without being out in the limelight. But why do you think they should not just sit back and instead should try to build up their personal brand?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>05:05</u> I think for me, from what I see when people are doing it and with encouragement from someone like me is that it really opens up a the doors for networking. You really start, you know, knowing who’s who in the industry, they get to know who you are, your credibility starts building up. That may be something very small that you, I think if not valuable for the community at large, but you’ll be really, really surprised that something very simple that you do at your work or, you know, in your private life, people would actually, wow, I didn’t know that, that is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I could use this. And it’s like building friends. It’s friendship. It opens up doors for your, you know, career prospects, stuff like that too. So I feel like it’s a really strong networking beast. Every platform has different pros and cons to it.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>06:07</u> You know, Facebook has a set in, you know. Yeah, yeah. I think that’s, that’s, that’s why it’s important. Even though the, you know, we have thousands and thousands of IT professionals and you know, around the world and stuff like that. But when you come to the social aspect of it, you know, it’s, it’s pretty small, you know, and you really know who’s who in the industry and you get to see them. It’s really a lot of fun. When you go to conferences or events and you’re running into each other like, oh, you are the one that I’ve been communicating with, or you know, things like that. Right? Like just how you and I met.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>06:53</u> Yeah. No, I think, I think you’re right. Even if you feel like it’s outside your comfort zone, once you do it a few times and go up to people and say, Hey, I know you from Twitter, it gets less weird. Right?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>07:07</u> It does. It does. I also feel like once if you started your own, you know, branding progress and things like that, you start, getting yourself out there, the whole celebrity factor that you feel like some people have out there that kind of diminishes. You’re feeling everybody, everybody’s equal. You’re still a human being. You have skillsets. I’ve got skillsets. I know it doesn’t matter whether you’re a Jeffery Snover or right, or whoever you are. At the end of the day, that just goes away and become a very normal environment.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>07:50</u> yeah. I think you’re right. I grew up before social media was really a thing and I always think back how much easier it would have been on me to have had it in my life because I was super shy growing up and I didn’t have a lot of friends and I had trouble meeting people and I feel like wow, if, but if I had had Instagram and if I had had Twitter, you know, and even if I didn’t actively participate, I feel like I would have had a much easier time kind of breaking the ice.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>08:19</u> Right, right, exactly. And Yeah.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>08:24</u> Okay. Let’s think of somebody like an IT pro who has no real social presence out there. They might have a Twitter account, they might have a Facebook, they aren’t really active on them in the industry. If you were saying, here’s the first thing you should do, here’s the first step you should take. What would you say to the person?

Mary Jo Foley: <u>08:44</u> So I would say the first thing you should do is definitely get an account on Twitter.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>08:48</u> Right.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>08:49</u> Set up your accounts. Don’t even go with Facebook and stuff like that. Just start with Twitter, it is really, really one of the best social platforms out there it’s very short. It’s sweet. There’s not really any drama associated with it. It’s very professional if it’s used, right? So start, with your account, create a profile, put your picture, all that stuff. I have a nice description too. Like what you do, who you are, what are your skill sets, things like that. And then next thing you do is you start following some people that interests you. You could follow me, someone could follow you, right? Or Petri.com And things like that. And then you start looking at who they a following as well.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>09:39</u> Right,

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>09:40</u> So you follow the key people and then you start looking at who they’re following, and who follows them. And you start building it that way. Like, Oh wow, you know, MJ is actually following this person and this person and this person, they must be something valuable too. They must provide something.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>10:02</u> This person that she’s following shares a lot of stuff about Azure, which I’m really interested in or shows a lot about system center. Oh, this one does a lot of photography. Oh my God, that’s something I’m interested in, you just go on that way, you know, and you’ll start building slowly. Suppose you’re a consumer, right? You’re just consuming content out there and things like that. And then as you go along, you start, it’s always good to give back, you know, hey, I found this great article from whatever, post it out there and people will start saying okay, they are starting to post some interesting stuff that is worth following back.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>10:49</u> Yeah. Okay. Yup.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>10:50</u> That kind of a thing. So the way I kind of got into, the stuff is that, I started sharing a lot of information, especially at conferences and I wasn’t just doing it for myself. Well actually at first I was doing it for myself and then when I realized the impact that he was bringing to the community when people were stopping me and saying, wait, hey, you know, you were taking notes in that session and I really appreciate you tweeting the notes.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>11:22</u> Yeah.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>11:23</u> And I’m like, really? I was just doing it for myself and I was like, okay, this is working. People really want information, you know?

Mary Jo Foley: <u>11:31</u> Yup. I know. I guess so that’s funny you do that because I also do that at conferences too.Instead of like live blogging it, a lot of times I’ll just pick out certain snippets from keynotes or conversations that I have people that are on the record and I’ll tweet them out. And at first I felt shy doing it. I was like, ah, this people are going to think I’m weird, right? Like it’s going to blow up their feed. And then they’re going to be like, Oh, who is she? I gotta shut her off. But instead it had the opposite effects and people really seem to like it. I’m surprised.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>12:05</u> And then, and you know, you, because you’re giving them something that they, they, they missed out or they didn’t hear about or they’re like, oh really, they’re going to be doing this at this place or, you know, they’re getting the free gifts over at, at such and such a booth, you know, whatever.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>12:20</u> Right. Yep. Great.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>12:21</u> So the way I do what I do at conferences is, I basically when I go sessions and stuff like that, I take notes through Twitter. People are always surprised. Like, how do you take notes to Twitter? I’m like, I don’t bring a laptop. I don’t bring notepads. I don’t do any of that stuff. I just bring my phone and extra battery, because I am always draining my battery on my phone. So what I do is like, for example, like if you take, Ignite, right? Microsoft ignite, every session has a code.

So BRK1234 whatever it is. Right? So you start and you’ll see a lot of speakers would encourage, hey, this is my Twitter handle. Please tweet, you know, any questions or things like that. My co speaker will monitor tweets, while the session is going on. And then, you use the Hashtag and you put a Hashtag in front of the code. That becomes your, your notes. So normally the, you are tagging stuff with that Hashtag you have other people in the sessions doing the same thing. Then when you come home and you do a search for that particular Hashtag and you’re getting everything that was discussed. Okay. So that’s your notes right there. And then you do whatever you want. That time I’m sitting in sessions and I miss out on stuff because I wasn’t paying attention. And then I’ll look, I’m like, oh my God, the speaker said such and such. Oh, I’m glad. So and so picked it up, you know.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>14:02</u> Exactly, Yep. Or sometimes they, even if I’m at Ignite and I’m in a session that I’m like, ah, I dunno, I’m not really getting a lot out of this session and I suddenly see a Hashtag come up that’s more something I’m interested in. I’ll be like, where is this person? And then I’ll see the session like you said, and then I’ll be like, wait, it’s the room next to me and I just get up and try not to be rude.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>14:24</u> Yeah you dash out and go to the other one.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>14:24</u> Yeah. Exactly. So I’m always happy when people do that too. You know, I don’t want them to do every single word that somebody says, but if there’s something interesting like a fact, a product name, a code name for me especially.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>14:38</u> yeah, something surprising. Right. You know, like, Oh wow, that’s this new announcement for something that’s coming up after the conference or something, you know?

Mary Jo Foley: <u>14:49</u> Yup. Yup. Yup. I liked a lot. Do you use Instagram at all too for social branding and now you do?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>14:57</u> Oh, yes. So I use Instagram mainly for my creative portfolio. I don’t post anything and everything like a lot of other people do, you know, like, yeah. Food and yeah, whatever. I’m very creative when it comes to my Instagram. I do a lot of creativity stuff. So I’ll capture some pictures and then I’ll use some apps to, you know, adjust the pictures or you know, create some, artistic output out of them. And then I’ll post that to my Instagram. So that is something like when I’m, in a group of likeminded people. You know, when we are talking, we’re sharing about oh, here’s my painting that I did. Or I’m like, Oh, here, look at my Instagram now. These are my creations.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>15:47</u> Nice, Nice. I don’t follow you yet on Instagram, but do you want to share your Instagram name?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>15:58</u> @harjit

Mary Jo Foley: <u>16:02</u> Okay. Yeah. And one of those annoying. I don’t do any work. I only, I only do food and cat’s pretty much and beer .

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>16:13</u> I know some people that just focus on food and that’s what they do. And they build a brand that way. Some people just focus on black and white images and they do really, really well. So you can just pick something and stick with it. Right. And people just do sunrises and sunsets and you know, that’s okay, you know.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>16:36</u> Yup. Yup. What about Linkedin? Do you use Linkedin for social at all?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>16:41</u> Yes. Oh yes. I use Linkedin quite heavily. I never used to in the past, maybe let’s say maybe two, three years ago, you know, cause for me, Linkedin was very much a you know, professional portfolio, right? Where you work, where you went to school, you know, a small kind of that way. But what LinkedIn decided to do is that they started turning it into more of a social a tool and more like a Facebook .

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>17:14</u> Now you can start, uh, you know, creating articles which gets tagged to your profile on your, on Linkedin. You can do certifications and stuff like that and you know, those things will show up in your Linkedin. I post a lot of stuff that I post on Twitter as well. I posted some of those, not everything, but some of those in, in sort of my Linkedin wall and that gets shared out and things like that. So because some people don’t want to be on Facebook.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>17:42</u> right.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>17:43</u> So they’ll use Linkedin.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>17:47</u> Even though it’s owned by Facebook, people feel more comfortable on Instagram.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>17:51</u> Instagram is owned by Facebook. Yeah. Snapchat, you know, I’m on, I’m on everything, you name it.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>17:59</u> Oh Wow. Are you really?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>18:03</u> Yeah.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>18:03</u> That’s a lot to manage. How do you, how do you manage all that? Because I’ve kind of picked three spots I’m on and that’s about it for me. I can’t do everything.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>18:14</u> So snapchat, I use it occasionally with my kids, you know, cause that’s the platform that they are on. And this is really important to mention because I also volunteer with an exchange student organization and we’ve got students coming in from all over the world. Right. You know, we’d host families and things like that. So one of the issues that they face is that communication with these, with these exchange students, they don’t like emails. They will never check the emails, they can never get them on the phone. And they also usually don’t do Facebook. You may be able to get them through Facebook messenger. So you’re like, okay, how did we communicate with these students and say, hey, we got a meeting coming up, a mandatory meeting that’s on two weeks from now or whatever. Right. So I said, they are all on snapchat. Get on snapchat. Yeah, surely enough it started working. Snapchat is one of them. WHATSAPP is the other one that they use excessively. Right. So you have to use those tools full, you know, for the, for the right audience. Right. Instagram is for different type of a demographics and stuff. So that’s why I’m into everything, you know.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>19:37</u> Right. I’m curious, do you think becoming a Microsoft MVP also is something people should aspire to if they want to build their social brand? Cause I know you’re, you’re an MVP, right? For configman?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>19:51</u> yes. But I do configman, but my MVP is on the Windows.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>20:01</u> Oh, okay. Gotcha. Let’s see. So do you think that is something that should kind of be your ultimate goal if you’re somebody who’s building your brand? Or do you think it’s not really necessary to think about becoming either an MVP or you know, somebody who’s speaking professionally on the circuit?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>20:20</u> I think it all goes hand in hand. It is important. One is if you’re trying to become an MVP, which you should, I mean it really does open up a lot of opportunities. I found I’ve been really blessed with this. You know, I’ve, I’ve spoken at many events, conferences and I get companies will reach out to me too, try test Products and write about it, give them feedback. So many different things like that and you know, you get some freebies and whatnot, but in order to get to that point, you have to get your name out there. So people need to know who you are and what you’re contributing. Right. Cause that’s what MVP, it’s a community based thing, right? So if you’re not really contributing to the community, you don’t really have a blog post in a blog site. I mean you don’t have Twitter and stuff like that. You’re nobody, you’re not going to get there. So it kind of goes, you want to aspire to be an MVP, then you also got to try to be a social, you know, do some networking.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>21:32</u> Social is the first step if you want to go further. Right?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>21:38</u> Yes.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>21:39</u> Yup.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>21:40</u> And also at the end, once you get your MVP, now what, well the whole game is that you are supposed to help the community. How do you help the community then not actually doing oh, I have a social presence. It would be hard.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>21:54</u> And it would be hard and maybe impossible. There’s another channel you have that I forgot to mention, which you do a podcast too, right?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>22:05</u> Yeah. I’ve got 2. I have Video cast with my good friend that’s just called the Harjit and Prayer show. It’s basically, it started off with us making, kind of low, you know, like lighthearted. Making things lighthearted as 2 Indian typical Indians, you know, professionals. That’s how this show started. You know, we talk about technology and, and things like that and occasionally we will interview somebody or another and things like that. So I got that. And then I also do The PowerShell News Podcast with my other friend Mick Pletcher. And that’s just very much Powershell, focused. We also do a lot of interviews with key powershell professionals out there. You know, every now and then we’ll share like, you know, tips about what’s going on in the Powershell.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>23:12</u> I do a podcast too, Windows Weekly every week, and I’ll tell you, I, I’m kind of an introvert at heart as I mentioned. So it was really scary for me to start doing a podcast. But I feel like if you’re somebody who’s nervous about public speaking, starting out with a podcast is kind of a good way to make yourself learn how to be more extroverted.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>23:37</u> Yeah. The actually this is exactly what happened with a Hodgkin and players show. Those few shows were like so rigid. We didn’t know what we were doing and we were like trying to be, you know, the p’s and q’s and things like that. Like, oh, are we saying the right thing? Are we, we are we looking at the camera properly and things like that. So the first maybe, I dunno, five shows or whatever, but we were planning it do like, oh, you’re going to, we got to talk about this and this is why you’re going to say it is what I’m going to say. And then as we just went along and we just kind of gotten rid of all of that stuff, I would just just went with the flow. We just became very natural. We just like two people having a conversation and it became so easy. So you know, we will just, you know, banter back and forth with each other. What about this and what about that? Oh , yeah, that’s right. You know, it becomes easier.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>24:35</u> It does. It does. I know the first few episodes for me, I was just thinking, I can’t do this. I can’t, like, it’s so not me. I can not do this. And then you start relaxing into it a little more and then it kind of becomes fun. Even though it’s work, it’s still, it’s still fun because there’s a lot of give and take and learning and opportunity to connect with people. Like you said, get guests on. Right. And it’s a great way, like if you’re intimidated to say, talk to Jeffrey Snover instead you go up to me, you say, Hey, I have a podcast about powershell. Would you ever be on?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>25:07</u> Exactly. And we’d actually, we did talk to him about that and he is, he wants to get on our show.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>25:15</u> Yeah, yeah. He’s a great guy. And you know, it does give you a nice opening to talk to people who otherwise you might be really intimidated to approach. So it’s, it’s kind of like, it’s almost like your calling card, right? Hey, I have a podcast, you know?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>25:30</u> Right. I also have my own youtube channel and stuff like that. I’ve been wanting to do my own. Yeah. I’ve been wanting to do like I do, I have some videos and stuff like that, but I hadn’t, and one time I’m like, you know, I do want to do my own serious of something like, you know, something like that, whatever. I just I just don’t have the time or you know. Yeah. I was just like, ah, it’s okay, I’ll do it next week. And then on the other hand is also harder to do it alone.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>26:01</u> You know, you ever think about what you’re gonna say next, what you’re gonna say next. So when you’re having a conversation like you and I are having, we both pick up on each other, you know, where one leaves off and one starts off and stuff like that. So if anybody that’s trying to start off with a podcast and stuff. Find a friend. Reach out to somebody you know, and say, hey, would you like try this with me? I think you and I have things in common and we both have the same skillset. Let’s do it.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>26:30</u> Yup. I agree. I agree. It’s always easier to do it with a partner and somebody who will also spur you on to do it when you don’t really feel like doing it. We got to do this. Let’s take a step back again. So I’m sure a lot of people listening to this are saying, I will never do a podcast. I’m never going to go up to Jeffrey Snover over and say, Hey, Jeffrey. So say you’re, say you’re kind of one of these IT Pros who really doesn’t like to get out there that much, but feels like they need to. And you’re at an event like Ignite and there’s some networking receptions or meetups. What do you think they should do? Or do you have any suggestions for kind of how to break the ice or get into a conversation when you feel really not ready to jump out there?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>27:20</u> Okay. At events and stuff. For example, at Microsoft ignite one of the key groups, the networking groups out there, it’s called the Krewe. I’m also part of that, that group. And I also managed aspect social. Really? Yeah. And that is really a group that you want to get into because everyone is super friendly. They actually pick up, the mindset of the mentor and mentee kind of the thing, you know. So when you’ll see people wearing, tshirts with the word the crew or stuff like that, just approach them and say, Hey, I’ve heard about you and you know, how do I sign up? Do you guys have any events coming up and things like that? So we always do. Usually it’s on a Sunday, before, Ignite and stuff like that. That is a great ice breaker. That’s how I met a lot of my friends that I’m very close to today that is what I actually kind of put me on the, on the map as well.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>28:30</u> Oh, interesting. That’s interesting. Yeah. I get to go to a couple of events. It’s K, r, e, w, e, the Krewe, and they’re not supposed to let press in, but you know, I was like, guys, I’m not there to like do stories. I just want to meet more people and get to know more people and they let me come to their parties and events, which is great.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>28:48</u> Right? And so what happens is once you hook up with one of these people, you know that the networking doors just open up because Dale connected with 20 other people from the Krewe as well. Right. So you’ll head to the expo hall or wherever the lunch area is and you’re like walking around with your tray and you’ll see someone calling you out and coming to come and sit with them. Okay. Stuff like that. Oh, you’ll run into like, wait, hey, I met this person on Sunday. Let me go and sit with them.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>29:19</u> Yeah.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>29:21</u> So it is just you really have to go and make an effort. I think right now, no one’s going to force you, but you still, you know, if you really want to have one to enjoy the conference or any events or stuff like that, that you have to make an effort.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>29:42</u> Yup. I agree. It’s so not my nature to do that kind of things, but I, I even now do things like organizing meetups and it’s a lot of work, but you really do get to meet a lot of people who you would never meet otherwise when you kind of just take one little step like that and say or if you know, somebody is organizing a meetup to say, hey, if you need help, I’ll help you, you know?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>30:04</u> Yeah.The other thing is that, um, I assume so, especially with Microsoft, they have a very good, mentor mentee program that the Microsoft Tech Community, has organized us for the last couple of years and stuff like that. That is another way for you to start building your friendships and building, some networking opportunities which will actually open up again even more channels. So I was connected with this very nice man from Alaska, John Welcome. He became my a mentee and you know, I was like, okay, you know, great. You know, this is through the program. And sure enough, we became very good friends and we still communicate almost on a daily basis now. One thing led to another where I find like sometimes the role of the mentor and mentee thing gets reversed. Sometimes. I’m his mentee and he’s my mentor because of the things that he’s doing.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>31:09</u> Yeah. That is up beyond what I’m doing. So I’m learning from him as well, you know, things like that. So that’s another way of doing it. And when I go to conferences, when I know there are some new people that I lead up through social or whatsapp or things like that who are kind of I don’t know what to do, things like that. So I’ll say, listen, meet me on such and such today. Sign up for this a particular event, a social event, please come and I will introduce you to a bunch of people and then you can take it from there.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>31:43</u> Yup. That’s good. That’s really good. Nice. All right. Any, any last tips or tricks we haven’t already shared that you want to make sure to mention on here or you feel like we kinda covered all our bases?

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>31:57</u> So attempts on tricks definitely started using Twitter. Twitter Is very, very powerful if you’re going to do any social, I would do Twitter, you know. Use Tweetdeck.com which will actually help you segment your tweets. For example, you can do direct messages in one column. You can add a column for let’s say #MJFChat, hashtag whatever. We can even follow people, you know, you can have a column full of specific people that you really want to see what they post and stuff like that. So that will get you started in like correlating information that’s coming out on social, especially on Twitter. Hashtags are important, they’re basically search datas that are created. No one owns any hashtags. So some people say, but yeah, can I use a Hashtag? Yes, of course. Nobody owns it. It’s just created on the fly. You can create whatever you want. Right. Sometimes I’ll use a hashtag called MVP git just to see, just to track some stuff that I’m posting, you know, whatever.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>33:20</u> So hashtags are important because what happens is if you’re using some common hashtags, for example, #ConfigManager, #SCCM, #Windows10 or whatever like that, right? You have other people who are also posting with those hashtags or they’re searching for information based on those hashtags. So if you trying to get out there, you’re like, hey, I only got five tweets, but I’ve got this really cool thing that I want to share about Config Manager. Post it and Hashtag right.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>33:50</u> Yup. Yeah. I do that a lot. Like when is something I’m writing about and I want to make sure that people who are talking about it see it, like say there’s an Office 365 outage, right? I’ll Hashtag it Office 365 outage and just get it into the stream. So people will say, oh wait, she’s talking about the thing I was just talking about, you know, so that works.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>34:11</u> Right? Exactly. Like patch Tuesday weeks and stuff. I’ll post stuff with the Hashtag #patchtuesday or #patching, something like that, you know, just to give people, Hey FYI this blah blah blah is causing issues fault Windows 10, something like that. I’ll give people a heads up and oh here’s the fix for that. The other thing I did is we didn’t talk about is, I’ll touch real quick is about Facebook, right? Facebook is also very powerful, right? So you’ve got your regular Facebook where you’re friends with your neighbors, your relatives and boyfriends, girlfriends, whatever it is, right? You’ve got all that regular stuff. Where the power of Facebook comes, is groups.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>35:02</u> So I manage a very successful group called Tech Connect, Dechko and ECT. Okay. And basically what it is, is that it encompasses all aspects of technology, whether it’s SCCM or Powershell or Azure or analytics, whatever. It’s one place to stop. You know, if you need help with something that you ran into, or posted day and people give you the support you need. I post a lot of like articles and things like that that I see coming through. You’ve got a lot of groups like this, you have Powershell groups, you’ve got Congif Manager groups, you name it, they’re out there. Leverage these groups, use them, join them, and then start communicating with people in their right. And the next thing you’ll know, that person is also on Twitter and then you hook up on Twitter and oh, this person’s also going to this particular event you’re planning to go to.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>36:13</u> Yeah, that’s, that’s a great tip. I always kind of gloss over Facebook because I feel like it’s more a place to connect with friends and family than it is work. But that’s totally not true. So good.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>36:25</u> No, it’s not true. Yeah. So I don’t post anything workwise or professional wise, on my regular Facebook page. I do all of my stuff in groups. That is where I’m very active. I will share and help people out and stuff like that. So that is where the power of Facebook comes in. And the other thing, one thing I remind people, and this has been a topic that has come up very recently too, is that careful, especially on Facebook, when you’re posting stuff and you know. Sometimes you’ll see people post something and then you’ll find someone, you know, will go and like, or share that particular thing. Right. Keep in mind that every action, there’s a reaction to it, right? If you’re liking something that is really controversial and stuff like that, you know, it reflects back on you regardless whether you posted it or not.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>37:36</u> That’s very true. Yep.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>37:39</u> So just be careful of that. Yeah, I don’t like politics and things like that.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>37:46</u> Yeah, I know , it’s kind of a up for discussion. Some people think it’s good to show your whole person on Twitter and Facebook and what you believe politically and not. I feel like people who are following me don’t care what I believe politically. They are following me for Microsoft coverage and that’s it.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>38:02</u> Exactly, exactly. And that is where your brand comes in, right? This is where you’re talking about branding. That is where your credibility is. I’m going to follow this person regardless though what their political background is, what their religious background is, it doesn’t really matter because the stuff that they are doing, it is neutral. It is on target. It is exactly what we need. Technology!

Mary Jo Foley: <u>38:30</u> Well that is the perfect place to end this chat. That’s like the perfect ending right there. Thank you again for doing this. This was really fun and really great.

Harjit Dhaliwal: <u>38:41</u> All right, thank you. Thanks for having me on the show. Hopefully we will do another one soon.

Mary Jo Foley: <u>38:45</u> Yes, let’s, let’s hope so, and for others who are out there, we’re going to be making this chat available very soon, both in audio form and as a full transcript on Petri.com . In a couple of weeks we’ll be back with our next guest, so be sure to be watching for that as well. I’ll post the information on Petri.com and that will be your signal listeners to send in any questions that you might have on the topic we’ll be discussing. All you have to do is go to the MJFChat area in the forums on Petri and submit your questions right there. So thanks again and see you soon!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Brad Sams Brad Sams.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.