Laptop Got locked by hackers

Home Forums Security General Security Laptop Got locked by hackers

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Blood Blood 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • puterherb
    Participant

My laptop was hacked yesterday and the current password was not recognized by the computer. The hacker asked me pay him 0.2 bitcoin to unlock the device. Should I pay him? Any way to delete the user account created by hacker?

Blood
    Blood

Do you have a backup? If so reformat, reinstall the OS/applications and restore your data.

If not, check out the Forgotten Password section of the site.

https://www.petri.com/forums/forum/security/forgot-administrator-password

JeremyW

What is the message you get? Is it a screen you normally don’t see or is it the regular Windows Logon screen and your password isn’t working?

I agree with Blood, if you have a backup, reformat and reinstall. If you get the normal Windows logon screen then you can use the Offline NT Password and Registry Editor and see if that works for you. https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

If it’s not the normal logon screen then you’ll need to determining what malware was used to “encrypt” your computer so you can see if it is reversible or not.

puterherb
    Participant

the login screen shows up an user name I never set so I can’t login.
    P.S i don’t have a timely backup

Blood
    Blood

Remove the hard drive and connect it as a slave to another computer (so that the other computer does not boot from it). Take ownership of the disk, or, if you know where your data is take ownership of the relevant folders. This will give you access to your data. Run a virus check on the drive and then copy your data. Pop your drive back into your own computer, reformat and reinstall the OS, restore your data.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.