Internal hosted email server not sending emails to gmail

Home Forums Networking General Networking Internal hosted email server not sending emails to gmail

This topic contains 33 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  toandxpc3 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
  • hardsoft

I have an internal email server that is hosted locally using a public ip from my isp. i have noticed that i can sen email to yahoo but email send to gmail and others are not been received. emails sent from my server are been received on yahoo mail servers. however emails cannot be sent yahoo to my private email servers. i looked at logs of the delivery failure notification and i have seen that ” google do not accept emails from by my ip 212.60.56.10 because it does not have a PTR record or a reversed lookup for my domain mydomain.com.

i need tech to help resolved this issue.

Thanks/

Ossian

Create a PTR (or rDNS) record on your public DNS server pointing your IP to your email domain

toandxpc3

is this to be done by my ISP or by me. i dont have a public dns server. i used the isp dns ip address on my server for internet connection

Ossian

You have a domain – someone manages the DNS records for that domain

toandxpc3

my domain is hosted on digital ozone that is my website and domain. my dns is provide by my ISP. now is it my ISP who should point my DNS to this domain host. I have configured on my email server smtp.myisp.com. now if my ISP and my domain are not the same network that is my confusion.

Ossian

I’m really confused now. Do you have a public domain (e.g. petri.com)? Presumably (if you do) this is the one Digital Ozone host. Someone (probably them) will have a DNS server where there are the public records.

Suggest you discuss this with the web hosting provider and your ISP – someone will have the appropriate knowledge

toandxpc3

yes we do have a public domain that is been hosted by digital ozone. the ISP only provide us internet and a public IP that we are using to host our internal email server. now what will be my smtp to send email.

Ossian

Email will be (if I read your original post right) from your internal mail server (what is it?). Depending on your setup it may go direct to recipient or via a “smarthost” at your ISP. Since my psychic powers are on the blink today, I don’t know which.

You will need to set up a public DNS record (probably with Digital Ozone, but again may be elsewhere) to tell recipients that the IP address the email comes from (your server or smarthost) maps to the domain you are sending from. I refer you to the last point in my previous post.

toandxpc3

the really issue is that my ISP is the one hosting my public domain but through another hosting provider. in my configuratioon i have selected the option for email to be sent directly to the recipient sever.but in my email delivery i put smtp.my_isp.com because if i query mx record for my dns IP address that what i see. the email is delivered to yahoo but i cannot received back from yahoo. it is complaining of no PTR record for my domain.

now the question still remain is my ISP responsible for the PTR.

Ossian

Whoever hosts your domain will have a DNS control panel. That is where the change should be made. The ISP (from your description) is the organisation to contact, but they will not do anything unless you tell them to.

Blood
    Blood

You should be able to manage your domain name via a control panel or other management page and this is where the DNS management occurs. It is usually your responsibility.

Some domain hosting companies don’t allow you to edit DNS records so if you cannot see the option to edit DNS, you will, as Ossian advises, need to contact the hosting company and ask them to make the changes for you.

Your ISP may be providing your IP address, but the PTR record management will be via the domain host as it is the domain name that SMTP servers will contact in order to check that your domain name resolves to that IP and vice versa.

JeremyW

In hopes of not clouding the water more, PTR records are not in your DNS zone and any changes to them need to be made by the owner of the public IP. So the PTR record does need to be updated by the ISP. All other records are in your zone (A, CNAME, MX, TXT, etc) and need to be updated by whoever is in control of your DNS.

Blood
    Blood

In order to satisfy the requirements for authenticating the source of our emails we had to make sure the mail record (in one case named an @ record), pointed to our ISP provided IP address for each of the domains we own.

It may be useful if the OP described which DNS records have been configured…

An A record for ‘domain name’ that points to the web address for your domain
    An A record for the mail subdomain which points to the ISP provided IP address.
    A TXT record containing SPF information defining any filtering/forwarding service (if used).
    Two (or more) MX records containing the web address(es) of your filtering service provider (if used), or the IP address provided by the ISP.

toandxpc3

Great i have really understood this subject matter and i have taken it up with my ISP. you people have been a great resource. Thanks

Blood
    Blood

I made a mistake in my last post. MX records cannot contain IP addresses, only web addresses. IP addresses are not valid for MX records. You would use mail.yourdomain.com or whichever address is recommended by your hosting provider’s mail setup if you relay via them.

toandxpc3

we dont relay, we send directly to the recipient server. but i need smtp for my server. does this have to be my ISP mx. let say my ISP domain is test.com so can i configure smtp.test.com. and my own domain name is sample.com but this is hosted by my isp. my isp has dedicated this public ip to me 212.60.80.14. if you can put it to contect how it will work for me.

Ossian

The MX records need to be for the domain you use in your email addresses – a public domain that you have purchased.

[Edit] in the example above, do you own the public domain “sample.com”? That is not the same as setting up an authoritative domain in Exchange – you could do that with any domain name you like. The “ISP domain” and “own domain” do not make this clear

JeremyW

If you want to receive emails at [email protected], you should:

1. Create an A records of smtp.sample.com (or mail.sample.com or whatever you like) and point it to 212.60.80.14 in the sample.com zone.
    2. Create an MX record “@” (the @ symbol just means the zone origin which should be sample.com) that points to smtp.sample.com (or whatever record you setup) in the sample.com zone.
    3. Ask your ISP to update the PTR record for 212.60.80.14 to point to smtp.sample.com (or whatever record you setup)

toandxpc3

this is absolutely clear. will do just that. you have been a great resource to me. Do you have any materials that i can build up capacity on this subject matter

JeremyW

This looks like it might be a good resource: http://www.learndns.com/
    Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

toandxpc3

Thanks noted

toandxpc3

Can you help me out more information about SPF. I want to know which ip address should i add to the SPF. how can i track my domain delivery and incoming route if that will help on the spf list

Blood
    Blood

Start with this: http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax

JeremyW

You’ll want to use either the public IP address that your email will be coming from or a DNS record that resolves to the IP address your email will be coming from. There are also additional considerations like: is there any other location or IP address that will generate legitimate email for your domain? Do you use a smarthost? Etc

Anything that is involved in the sending of email from your domain should be considered to see if it will impact what you put in your SPF record.

toandxpc3

no, we dont use smarthost. this means that i can add the public ip for email server, dns ip addresses.

toandxpc3

I have problem with blacklist. is the blacklist as result of my email server sending spam or it is my public ip. how can i protect myself from blacklist. I have install a spam filter to protect only my email server so that it will filter email coming in and out of my server. I am also using Ditigal ocean as my domain host is this a good host platform.

Ossian

The domain host is, IMHO ,immaterial, as it is the domain and IP that lead to blacklisting.

Do you think you have been sending spam, or has someone been using your domain to send spam (check your postmaster mailbox for undeliverables)? If not, it could well be the IP address, especially if you have just got it .

All you can do is request (politely) to be removed from blacklists – you have no way of making the providers remove you. Use tools like mxtoolbox to check who has blacklisted you and follow their instructions to request removal.

What is your mail server platform, and what is the spam filter you are using?

toandxpc3

thanks, i have use the tool box , and what is your recommendation for a good host that will handle emails delivery

Ossian

“host that will handle email delivery” Are you talking about outgoing emails, in which case many ISPs will provide a smarthost (also called a relay server) for free, or you can pay for a service, or are you talking about incoming emails, where there are some paid for services that will receive your emails, spam filter and store them, then pass them onto your server.

I have both I use in the UK, but a lot depends on where you are and how much you want to pay, also on any legal and data protection requirements you may have

toandxpc3

Maybe a relay server. When i send email it immediately bounce back if my ip is been blacklisted. I have install a spam filter which is doing a greate job. Now my emails are going out and coming in. What i want is instead of the email bouncing back immediately, i want it to try reseeding for a period let say 24 hours before bouncing back.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.