Intelligent Message Filter

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Intelligent Message Filter

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
  • hilsoe

I have just configured Intelligent Message Filter on exchange 2003 server but spam is still getting to the outlook inbox. Do I have to activate unwanted E-mails on the clients?

Sembee

Re: Intelligent Message Filter

What settings have you applied in IMF? It isn’t completely fool proof. No antispam solution is.
    Are the clients in cached mode?

Simon.

hilsoe;236916 wrote:
    I have just configured Intelligent Message Filter on exchange 2003 server but spam is still getting to the outlook inbox. Do I have to activate unwanted E-mails on the clients?

Have you made sure that you have applied the setting to the correct SMTP virtual server in ESM?

The IMF is customisable though. You can modify the spam confidence levels from the IMF tab under message delivery. The only problem with this though is you run the risk of rejecting legitimate email depending on what you set the SCL rating to as its only hueristics based, as well as what “action” you specify as the criteria for messages. So you would then have to go through the tracking logs and “train” the IMF accordingly. No settings need to be applied client side.

Anonymous

I startet with SCL at 7 and blocked message: “Archive”. Moving messages SCL 4.

Yes I have applied the sitting on the SMTP server.

No the clients are NOT in cached mode and that is what I’m not sure if I have to do. And i’m not sure if I have to activate Junk E-mail on the clients.

Ossian

IIRC Junk Mail will not work unless the clients are in cached mode

Anonymous

Ossian;237011 wrote:
    IIRC Junk Mail will not work unless the clients are in cached mode

That I am aware of, but should I turn it on Intelligent Message Filter for spam mails is moved to the Junk Mail folder?

That isn’t strictly true. Cached mode is only a requirement for the client side filtering in Outlook. And thus cached mode is not a requirement for the IMF as exchange determines via the SCL whether the emails should be moved to the junk mail folder.

http://www.exchangeinbox.com/article.aspx?i=25&t=3

Anonymous

Well I still get spam in the mail-box and I’m not sure what other configurations I have to do.

Sembee

To start with I would make the registry change so the SCL is written to the headers. Then you can verify what score the message has been given by looking at the headers. That will configure whether it is working correctly or not.

You can also use perform on to see the message count.

http://exchange.sembee.info/2003/smtp/imf.asp

Simon.

Anonymous

I have downloaded IMF Archive Manager and in there I can see that the SCL field is empty, does that meen that IMF isen’t configured correctly or even activated?

Sembee

hilsoe;237124 wrote:
    I have downloaded IMF Archive Manager and in there I can see that the SCL field is empty, does that meen that IMF isen’t configured correctly or even activated?

Have you made the registry change that is required to expose the value? If not, then you need to. After making the registry change you must restart the SMTP Server service.
    However that change will only apply to new messages, not to the old ones.

If you are seeing messages in the archive then the filter is working, if it wasn’t, the archive would be empty!

Simon.

Anonymous

Is it this registry you mean?

Quote:
    View the Spam Confidence Level of Messages in the Archive
    Each message is given a spam confidence level (SCL). The level is then used by Exchange to decide what to do with the message.
    You can get the SCL level entered in to the header of the email messages sent in to the archive via a registry change.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftExchangeContentFilter
    Right click on ContentFilter and choose New and select DWORD Value.
    Enter the key name as ArchiveSCL
    Give the key a value of 1
    To disable the option, change the value to 0 or delete the key.

Another thing, I can see some mails in IMF manager, BUT the mails are not moved to the junk folder in outlook.

Sembee

You will see the messages in EITHER the archive or in junk email folder in Outlook. Not both.

That is the registry key I am referring to. Set it, restart the SMTP Server Service. Future emails should be tagged with their SCL.

Simon.

Anonymous

Okay I can live with having to use IMF Manager to see the mails. The next problem is with the registry, I do not have this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftExchangeContentFilter string.

Sembee

Create the key then. Not every key is already created.

Simon.

Anonymous

The key is made and I can now see the SCL score in IMF Manager. Whet do I do if a spam mail gets through? Do I just delete it or …?

Another thing, how familier are you with IMF Manager?
    There is a “Report“-button, how does it work?

Sembee

If the message gets through to Outlook, then you should probably just deleted it. You can try moving the numbers around, but no antispam product is going to catch all spam, and IMF was basic when it was first released six years ago!

It works, but its effectiveness is very suspect.

Simon.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.