Install a first Windows 2016 Domain controller on AD 2008R2

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory Install a first Windows 2016 Domain controller on AD 2008R2

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Ossian 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tdbchess
    Participant

Hello,

I have domain active directory demo.local with 20 Domain controllers, all in Windows 2008R2 std (Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Functional Level).

I want to install a first domain controller in Windows 2016 std.

What are the steps to perform?

Thank you

Ossian

Build Windows 2016 server (why not 2019?)
    Make sure FSMO holders are accessible in existing domain
    Check current functional levels (must be 2003 or greater)
    Join new server to domain
    Airgap one existing DC (just in case)
    Add ADDS role to new server and promote to DC (adprep and forestprep now done automatically)

For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/deploy/upgrade-domain-controllers

tdbchess
    Participant

Why not 2019 ? Because it’s new Operating system an i take a step back.
    Thanks for you’re reponse.

Ossian

I don’t see 2019 as a new OS, but as 2016R2. Both are “Windows 10” GUI based, and there are few differences between them, but I have found 2019 to generally seem to be more stable, particularly with patching, where 2016 has (for me, at least) generated lots of issues around failed / stuck updates.

tdbchess
    Participant

Can i have more precision about the step : Airgap one existing DC. I don’t understand the Airgap term.

Thx

Ossian

Sorry, I assumed (ass-u-me) it was a standard phrase.

What I mean is to disconnect it from the network (unplug the cable if physical, disable NiC if virtual). If everything goes OK, reconnect it, so replication will bring it up to date. If everything goes wrong, do an authoritative restore, then reconnect it to the network so things revert back.

(Having said that, I have done many schema updates (AD, Exchange, SfB, SCCM) and never had any problems with them – but I still take precautions)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.