IE 11 opens, flashes, closes instantly. Only on non-admin accounts signed into domain

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 IE 11 opens, flashes, closes instantly. Only on non-admin accounts signed into domain

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  digfm 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • nochaps

Acer TravelMate P273

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I have an issue when opening Internet Explorer on any account that is registered in the domain and does not have administrative privileges. The accounts work fine on other devices but on this laptop, when Internet Explorer is clicked, it flashes for a split second and closes itself. On a local account it works fine, works also on local admins and on a admin account on the domain it also works fine. I have restored the system and the issue still persists. Does anyone out there have a fix for this ? Thank you.

biggles77

Have you tried to right click and Run as administrator?
    Have you looked at the Event Viewer and checked the logs?
    Have you tried to run Microsoft Internet Explorer in ‘Safe Mode’
    Have you tried to repair Internet Explorer

Have you tried anything other than a System Restore? There is a very useful new tool :google: that has only been around for 20 years today according to the :google: Search homepage and that may help you in your quest to resolve this issue. It really does help if you can tell us what you have tried to fix it, when the issue started and what was done before this issue was first noticed.

If you try something and it doesn’t work, post back and let us know. We cannot guess what you have tried and what the results may or may not have been.

Ossian

Is it being blocked with AppLocker? (you should get a warning, though)

digfm
    biggles77;n518325 wrote:
    Have you tried to right click and Run as administrator?
    Have you looked at the Event Viewer and checked the logs?
    Have you tried to run Microsoft Internet Explorer in ‘Safe Mode’
    Have you tried to repair Internet Explorer

Have you tried anything other than a System Restore? There is a very useful new tool :google: that has only been around for 20 years today according to the :google: Search homepage and that may help you in your quest to resolve this issue. It really does help if you can tell us what you have tried to fix it, when the issue started and what was done before this issue was first noticed.

If you try something and it doesn’t work, post back and let us know. We cannot guess what you have tried and what the results may or may not have been.

Yes if I run it as administrator on a user account it does work.
    I checked the Event Viewer and I did not find anything that correlated this problem.
    Running in safe mode still has the same outcome.
    I have tried repairing IE, I also tried getting rid of it through turning it off in Windows features and turning it back on, I also deleted it completely and downloaded a fresh install, I used a repair tool found on Microsoft website and none of these ways worked. Don’t worry, I have googled for some answers but could not find anything that worked. I found this forum while I was looking for help, I didn’t just make an account to ask a question without trying to research this issue.

With that being said since none of the repairs of IE worked, this tells me that IE on the computer is fine, especially since it works on a local user account. The issue comes in only when the computer connects to the network with a user account, but we have the same group policy implemented for the machines and separately the users so I am guessing this issue would show up on all computers but it’s just this particular one.

digfm
    Ossian;n518328 wrote:
    Is it being blocked with AppLocker? (you should get a warning, though)

No we do not have an app blocker implemented. I literally click on the IE shortcut on the task bar, you see the white window appear on the screen for a split second and it closes immediately.

Blood

Have you tried the old faithful – running SFC /scannow from a command prompt? If that does not help, run a repair installation of Windows 7.

digfm
    Blood;n518335 wrote:
    Have you tried the old faithful – running SFC /scannow from a command prompt? If that does not help, run a repair installation of Windows 7.

Tried both, SFC returned an all clear and still having the same issues. Also I just found out that Sticky notes and Snipping Tool are also affected, can’t open them, but only on domain users.

Feels like some specific Microsoft Tools have are being compromised when the computer joins the domain with a regular user.

Ossian

Run an RSoP for both the user and an admin (btw, do local – not domain – admins have the problem or not) and do a detailed comparison, particularly user rights

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.