I have a Password Issue on an XP box.

Home Forums Security Forgot Administrator Password I have a Password Issue on an XP box.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar javanord 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    TractorMan

I have some old game servers installed on an XP boxs. The problem is that the boxes haven’t been started in years. The files are custom and would take a significant amount of time to recreate. I was going to remove the hard drives and put them in another box to recover the files, however as I was talking to some people I have found that there may be an interest in this old game. So I thought instead I would try to restart the servers and see what happens… The problem is that its been so long since they have run I have forgotten all the passwords. Since it was all automated to restart I cant really reset it to default with out loosing even more programming.. (that I did not write in the first place) so it seams I have the option of recovering the passwords or trying to figure out someone elses programming.. yikes… So here in am…. Can any one walk be through getting the hashes and turning them into text so I can restart these servers, or should I just toss them in a box and get the most important files off and call it a day? I am fairly tech savvy so I can do the work myself. I just need guidance through XP and the decrypting of the hashes.

XP
    Service pack 3 (I think)

Ossian

Re: I have a Password Issue on an XP box.

Are these Windows logons or something totally different?

javanord

Yes they are windows logons. Administrator pass and user pass. Without them I am kinda screwed…

I tried to get the hash by plugging the hard drive into a different computer then putting the hash into the password box but that didn’t work. I am not even sure I got the right hash… and I think it needs to be converted to text before it will work. I was trying to follow someone elses instructions that were not very reader friendly.

The box was healthy when I shut it down so If I can get the correct passwords in plain text I am certain it will start up fine. It’s just been about 6 years since I have started it…

wullieb1

Have you tried any of the tools in the sticky threads to reset the administrator password which will then alllow you to reset the user account?

javanord

I already thought about that, however the software that manages the servers already has the passwords programed into it and I have no idea how to decompile it. So I am stuck with the passwords that are preprogramed into it. So I need to do a password recovery not a reset. If I do a reset I would be forced to run them individually, if of course they would run at all, its just way safer torecover the old passwords so I can boot up the machine with the managment software on it then start the machines one at a time and let the software network the machines. Once the server is running it will do a daily restart of each machine at 4am ect.. If I reset the passwords I don’t think it will communicate properly. I am really kind of stuck with pw recovery I think.

wullieb1

Ahh ok now i get you.

Unfortunately i thin you may be out of luck as i’m sure that the passwords are encrypted in the SAM database.

This however may help

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Reverse_Engineering/Cracking_Windows_XP_Passwords

javanord

Yea, that’s more like what I need. Although I tried the one solution and the author wanted me to send him al my password hashes for him to decrypt. Then he wanted to get paid for the service….for all those machines it would bankrupt me….

I will go through that article and if I get it all figured out I will post it here. Perhaps I will write a start to finish tutorial. It apears one is needed on this topic.

wullieb1

Yeah unfortunately most will require payment for the services. Sad but true.

Very vaquely i can remember using Lophtcrack (i think) to retrieve passwords, way back many years ago.

Dumber
    Participant

Using admin passwords, hardcoded in an application isn’t the way to go. But since you’re in such a situation, you might investigate things like this:

http://simper-varun.blogspot.nl/2011/03/top-4-ways-to-crack-windows-xp-password.html
    http://www.l0phtcrack.com
    http://www.onlinehashcrack.com/how_to_crack_windows_passwords.php

ps, I’m not responsible using any of those tools if something fails.

Strip

hey tractor man
    have u try using heeren boot software if u r unable to log in to u r window xp
    its simple linux based software which will help u reset u r password or to change u r password

Ossian

srane.sushant;267817 wrote:
    hey tractor man

have u try using heeren boot software if u r unable to log in to u r window xp

its simple linux based software which will help u reset u r password or to change u r password

Please follow the forum rules and post in English

(Note txtspk is not repeat NOT English :evil:)

Also please read the thread — the OP is not wanting to reset a password, but to recover an existing password.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.