I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow;best way to protect my system?

Home Forums Security General Security I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow;best way to protect my system?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gforceindustries 11 years ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    bspkumar

I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow after facing many problems with malware and virus issues with internet ( Files are downloading automatically without my concern )

So, I request you to suggest steps I have to follow before installing and immediately after installing the OS .

( Best antivirus, best firewall,best adware……….etc )

You can suggest me anything to get rid of these malware issues.

Re: I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow;best way to protect my system?

The only way to be sure of getting rid of any problems is to backup files you can’t afford to lose, format all of the volumes on your computer and then reinstall the operating system.

make sure that you keep your OS up to date.

As for firewalls, in my opinion if your computer is behind a broadband router with a firewall then the Windows Firewall is perfectly sufficient.

As for anti-virus and anti-malware, do some research. Look at the statistics. Personally I swear by Nod32 Business edition antivirus and Windows Defender, but don’t just take my suggestion on that.

Keep in mind though, that if you don’t take care when visiting websites, downloading content, installing software or opening ports in your firewall then even the best protection software available won’t protect you for long. And as with the OS, make sure your definitions are kept up to date.

Use a decent web browser. Don’t install software for the hell of it, particularly free trials or something that seems too good to be true.

As for backing up your data, ensure that you take regular bacups while your system is still healthy, and test them to make sure you can restore from them.

wullieb1

Stop downloading crap from the internet.

Seriuosly though i use the following software (All free i might add)

AVG Free Edition or Avast! Free Edition
    Zonealarm Basic or Comodo Firewall
    Spybot Search and Destry
    Adaware
    Javacools Spyware Blaster

I’ve never had a virus or malware intrusion on my system.

wullieb1;131050 wrote:

Your first suggestion suggests that common sense may be a large factor in that ;)

Seriously though, wullieb1 is quite right. If a website is offering you a free download of Office (for example), then aside from the fact that it won’t be legal and the consequences of that, they’re clearly not making money from sales of the software – they have to fund their website some other way. Maybe it’s that banner ad at the top of the page. On the other hand, maybe it’s that trojan embedded in the installer you just downloaded.

uk_network

I use windows firewall behind my netgear router, it’s just easy and hardly even notice it.

AVG do a free antivirus that includes an antispyware module. I use it and like it.

Malware bytes Anti-malware is free and u should get that, spybot is free, and superantispyware(not free)

Firefox 3 for a browser,

When you have all your os installed and configured it’s worth imaging it with ghost, or acronis.

uk_network;131057 wrote:
    Malware bytes Anti-malware is free and u should get that

Not saying I disagree, but other than personal opinion do you have stats to support the suggestion that it should be installed?

uk_network

Well I was at a customers site the other day and some guy had very nasty malware/virus called xp antivuris 2009 and no one there could remove it, also some random guy had the vundu thing, I ran malwarebytes and it removed everything, it was like magic.

AndyJG247

Malwarebytes is pretty good from my experience as well. Key thing is to mix things though. Have a local AV but use a web one from time to time. Spybot has been good for a while.
    I have the comodo firewall installed which I’m finding pretty good.
    Plus noscript in firefox.
    AdMuncher is a good tool, easy to block specific things too.

Nonapeptide

bspkumar;131038 wrote:

Run GEOS 1.2. I loved it and never had any problems with viruses. Of course, that was 15 years ago and I never did get a modem for my 286. That might have had something to do with it.

Seriously, another good tool to have in your Anti-Malware arsenal is Hijack-This. Yes, the web-site looks a little home-grown, but it’s a legitimate tool. I actually think Trend-Micro somehow worked out a deal to have HJT branded with their logo. I’m not sure if there is an appreciable difference aside from the logo though. After HJT generates a report, submit it to the automated analyzer on hijackthis.de. There are also some forums on the web where ‘experts’ can look over it for you as well. BleepingComputer.com and CastleCops.com come to mind, but always search the forum and ask if it’s okay to post a log before you go bombarding a new thread with 100 lines of gibberish. :mrgreen:

AndyJG247

:offtopic:Didn’t Trend buy the rights to it?
    It used to be on merijn.org. I agree it is a great tool!

Nonapeptide

Oh, and here’s a little tip for you. Don’t put “Hijack This” anywhere where a user can see it. It tends to cause them to freak out when they see something with the word “Hijack” in the title. I usually rename the shortcut ‘HJT’ just to prevent false-alarms. I have a share on the file server where the HJT executable is stored. I run HJT from the share while I’m at a client computer and then save that computer’s log in a subfolder named after the computer. That way I have a record of the computer’s woes. However, after I created the “Hijack This” share, it occurred to me that I should probably choose a less suspicious name lest I receive phone calls like “The file server has a hijack thing on it! AHHH!” :mrgreen:

Surely users are there to be screwed with? :p

biggles77
    Spectator

:offtopic: Sorry bspkumar but I just have to know what A/V Wullie is using.

wullieb1;131050 wrote:
    Stop downloading crap from the internet.

Seriuosly though i use the following software (All free i might add)

AVG Free Edition or Avast! Free Edition
    Zonealarm Basic or Comodo Firewall
    Spybot Search and Destry
    Adaware
    Javacools Spyware Blaster

biggles77
    Spectator

Ditto Malware Bytes. Very good. Would also suggest using it in conjunction with Spybot and Adaware.

And NEVER go online using an Administrator account!!!!

uk_network;131057 wrote:
    I use windows firewall behind my netgear router, it’s just easy and hardly even notice it.

AVG do a free antivirus that includes an antispyware module. I use it and like it.

Malware bytes Anti-malware is free and u should get that, spybot is free, and superantispyware(not free)

Firefox 3 for a browser,

When you have all your os installed and configured it’s worth imaging it with ghost, or acronis.

wullieb1

biggles77;131776 wrote:
    :offtopic: Sorry bspkumar but I just have to know what A/V Wullie is using.

:offtopic: Either AVG or Avast free versions bud.

Really depends on what i can be bothered installing.

wullieb1;132296 wrote:
    Either AVG or Avast free versions bud

Look at the detection statistics for AV packages before deciding which one to go for. AVG is free, and if you look at the stats it’s pretty clear why, at barely over 50% effectiveness as found by Virus Bulletin. Considering that the highest they’ve found is around 96%…

wullieb1

gforceindustries;132302 wrote:
    Look at the detection statistics for AV packages before deciding which one to go for. AVG is free, and if you look at the stats it’s pretty clear why, at barely over 50% effectiveness as found by Virus Bulletin. Considering that the highest they’ve found is around 96%…

Using a good firewall and having a bit of a clue about what you are doing helps a great deal.

If you download crap and visit crap sites on the net you will get infected plain and simple.

As i said before a combination of the products above have proved effective for me in my battle against the malware and viruses of todays internet.

This is only my opinion though.

wullieb1;132311 wrote:
    Using a good firewall and having a bit of a clue about what you are doing helps a great deal.

Absolutely. Whilst I would never recommend running a Windows box without AV protection, it should never be your first line of defence. Common sense should always be applied. We’ve all heard the various versions of the woman who phoned a tech-support line with a computer problem and eventually revealed that there was a power cut, only to be told to return the machine because she was too stupid to operate a computer ;)

Nonapeptide

bspkumar;131038 wrote:
    biggles77;131777 wrote:
    And NEVER go online using an Administrator account!!!!
    gforceindustries;132313 wrote:
    Whilst I would never recommend running a Windows box without AV protection…

bspkumar, here’s my experience: I run XP and Vista for 99% of my time in front of a computer screen both for work and leisure. I have a persistent high-speed internet connection (however I do have a LinkSys router/firwall between me and the outside world). I don’t run antivirus. I used to keep my firewall turned off most of the time until I needed to use an IPSec VPN and discovered that turning off the firewall disables some of the IPSec stack. I very rarely use malware scanner like Spybot S&D, Malware Bytes, etc. ad infinitum. I download executables with relative frequency. I run as an admin on my Windows machines at all times.

I’m reaching into the dark nether regions of my memory and I can’t recall with certainty that I’ve ever had a virus in all of my time of using a personal computer. I have a dim recollection that I may have had something that tweaked McAfee’s online scanner ( http://www.mcafee.com/freescan ) as a virus once. (Of course, a McAfee online scan of my hard drive causes it to light up like a Christmas tree for the ‘hack tools’ category :mrgreen:) One time I accidentally executed a file that was supposedly to “install” a desktop picture (it was Siamese cats, get your heads out of the gutter people) but it did something like hijack my browser (I can’t quite recall exactly what the problem was). A quick uninstall and scan with some anti-spyware software rectified the situation. Had I not been so utterly stupid as to double-click something that was supposed to just be a desktop picture I wouldn’t even have this little situation to mention. I was tired from studying sun-up to sun-down for certification exams. Cut me some slack. :mrgreen:

So, why has my computer not burst into flames, turned into a spam cannon or been confiscated by the CIA for being used as an attack platform against the missile defense system? If you believe the panic stricken reports (and reporters) concerning this topic, the only way to keep one’s computer clean is to buy and use antimalware systems and use them frequently. However, in my years of computing on the Big Scary Interweb, a few simple concepts have kept me clean without the antivirus/spyware/malware/firewall tools. I’ll share them with you:

• Keep your OS patched
    • Use a pop-up blocker or preferrably Adblock Plus for Firefox
    • Don’t install software from websites that smell a bit funny.
    • Don’t surf pr0n.
    • Don’t open email attachments unless you know the sender is safe (notice I didn’t go so far as to say that you should never open email attachments)
    • Stay away from anything with the word ‘torrent’ in it until that distribution medium has more reputable sources and better safety checks,
    • Stay away from warez, cracks, cars with the VIN scraped off, and other stolen goods. Not only because it’s illegal, wrong and evil but because your computer will be instantly converted to a schzophrenic malware grenade that will make you and anyone else that your computer has network access to very unhappy.
    • Never, ever click ‘okay’ or ‘cancel’ in any unknown dialog box. Just hit the red ‘x’ or kill the process.

I’ve followed those simple rules and have defied the antivirus industry’s clarion call to buy their products. I don’t buy into this mad crush to buy antimalware products to keep safe. I’d be willing to bet that 99.99% of all malware infections are easily preventable. In spite of drive-by downloads, malformed URLs and mutated JPG files I have yet to be convinced that there is some malware boogeyman out there that can magically infect my computer without my interaction. One could try to make the case that maybe I’m already rooted and don’t even know it. I’ll scan my computer with any rootkit detector of your choice and we’ll see if I’m wrong.

To cap off this rather long post, all of this doesn’t mean that I don’t advocate antivirus for the business environment or personal firewalls. In fact, I’m going to be researching a new corporate AV solution for a small office in the next few months. Why? for the most part because users don’t follow those simple rules that I stated above and I end up having to spend a few hours a month bailing them out of some malware issue. *sigh* Also, business users are more frequenlty the target of spear phishing in which case you really do have something other than your general malware woes to worry about. And as for personal firewalls… I like ’em.

As wullieb1 said:

wullieb1;132311 wrote:

If you download crap and visit crap sites on the net you will get infected plain and simple.

But of course, he also said:

wullieb1;132311 wrote:
    This is only my opinion though.

To which I’ll have to say ‘ditto’… but I still think I’m right. :mrgreen:

You are right, in a sense, that antivirus is not necessarily essential.

However, if you don’t run any, you better make damn sure that you have common sense and and be competant enough to see a threat when it’s staring you in the face. From your post, and from other posts you’ve made, it’s pretty clear that you do have common sense, and you do know what to look out for. Average Joe on the other hand… well, just see the Stupid Users thread in the coffee lounge :p

AndyJG247

Keeping windows up to date only prevents the known issues. Look at things like code red for an obvious example.

I think I agree with your points but for all the text I could write I would still come to the basic “prevention is better than cure”.
    Maybe your skills mean you pick up on the common ways to get infected but all it would take is someone to borrow your machine and browse something they shouldn’t. Having seen how some of these things work I just couldn’t do that myself.
    Users are always the issue here. You know what you are doing but most of them don’t.

All good points.

Nonapeptide

AndyJG247;132742 wrote:
    but for all the text I could write I would still come to the basic “prevention is better than cure”.

Maybe I should have restricted myself to haiku form?

dear user
    that thing on your screen
    don’t click that!

Anyway, I agree about patches only being for known vulnerabilities and users not knowing as much as their IT crew wish they did. Thus A.V is good for most folks… but if only we could edumacate people. As for borrowing my machine… I have a separate account for that.

“You want to borrow my laptop? I hope you know csh and like to browse with Lynx.”

Nonapeptide;132751 wrote:
    Maybe I should have restricted myself to haiku form?

You don’t have a separate machine for that? One with a strange earthing fault? :p

AndyJG247

Now that would get hard to keep writing! :)

Plus I would add that separate accounts are still able to utilise flaws for privilege escalation.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.