Hyper V disk config

Home Forums Virtualization Microsoft Hyper-V Technology Hyper V disk config

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ThaHomie 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ghostrocket

Hi all

We have a customer that we are building a server for. Its going to be Hyper V host with two guests. Due to the costs we hvae 4 600GB SAS disks.

Initially I was looking at a RAID1 for each guest, however long term it doesnt really lend itself if we want to add a 3 guest. However as one of the guests will manage Exchange I am looking for the best performance.

Plus I realise that Hyper V doesnt leave a huge footprint, is it wise to have this installed on the same set of disks as a guest ?

Any advice would be great or links.

Thanks

James Haynes

Re: Hyper V disk config

4 drives doesnt really lend itself to an optimal configuration…

i think the first thing you need to do is a load test to determine what kinda performance you will require.

this also means that if your going to use the 4 drives, you have no hot spare for either group… because i would definitely be using to groups for the servers in question. the exchange box is going to need to have decent I/O rates depending on your user base….

its hard to suggest how to set this up with only 4 physical drives…

joeqwerty

1. The guests don’t (or shouldn’t) access the physical disks directly. You’ll install Hyper-V on the RAID array(s), then you’ll create virtual hard drives for the guests.

2. Personally I would configure two RAID 1 sets or one RAID 10 set.

Virtual

If you will only be using DAS, you only have the option to create VHDs.

For Exchange environments, I tend to use a VHD for the boot/system partition and then a SAN to provide the LUNs for the Exchange database/log files. This is configured as a pass through disk on the Hyper-V Guest VM.

What Exchange version are you using as I/O requirements are very different. Also, there are tools that allow you to assess the I/O be applying the relevant load prior to migrating production Mailboxes to Exchange, such as the JetStress tool.

Also, ensure that the VHD is a fixed disk.

ThaHomie

Just wanted to say thanks for all your replies much appreciated :)

Virtual

Glad to help and thanks for posting back. :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By