Hyper-V CPU/Memory resources – Daft question

Home Forums Virtualization Microsoft Hyper-V Technology Hyper-V CPU/Memory resources – Daft question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ThaHomie 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ghostrocket

Hi all

Please be patient with what may be a very silly question, but it will hopefully resolve an issue between me and lets say my new colleague :)

We have 5 Hyper V hosts all exactly the same specs in terms of OS, memory and CPU’s he is indicating that CPU and memory is collective across all hosts.

So for example if host 1 has 5GB memory spare and host 2 has 1GB spare, we can create a VM with 6GB memory on Host 1 as the memory is shared.
    Hope this makes sense, I believe this is totally wrong, but feel free to tell me otherwise.

Thanks

Ossian

As far as I know, HyperV does not work that way – a VM runs on resources on one host or another.
    He may be thinking of System Centre Virtual Machine manager, which can automatically move VMs to balance resource usage across hosts

joeqwerty
    Ghostrocket;n508802 wrote:
    Hi all

Please be patient with what may be a very silly question, but it will hopefully resolve an issue between me and lets say my new colleague :)

We have 5 Hyper V hosts all exactly the same specs in terms of OS, memory and CPU’s he is indicating that CPU and memory is collective across all hosts.

So for example if host 1 has 5GB memory spare and host 2 has 1GB spare, we can create a VM with 6GB memory on Host 1 as the memory is shared.
    Hope this makes sense, I believe this is totally wrong, but feel free to tell me otherwise.

Thanks

No. Hyper-V doesn’t have that capability.

Anonymous

Absolutely not. RAM taken up by a VM is only used in the Hypervisor that ‘owns’ the VM. In the case of a failover cluster, when you ‘live migrate’, what you’re doing is moving the memory contents that is the VM in active ram from one cluster member to another. I don’t have SCCM running that Ossian describes, but yes, the dynamic move of a VM between hypervisors due to resource balancing is an option.

ThaHomie

Many thanks all – I can sit here smug :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.