Hyper -V

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar vonPryz 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nystack

Hey Guys,

New to the site. I have a deployment to role out soon and I want to use Hyp V to do it most of it.

Hear is what the customer has now.

1 2008 Windows Server with an database (Access) and Quick Books. Specs are ok. 2 250 GB drives in a RAID 1, with 2GB of ram. CPU not virtual capable.

Will be getting a new server with way better specs. Here is what I plan to do.

New Server Specs: Some of the specs

8GB ram, Windows Server 2008 R2
    64-bit CPU
    3 250GB in a RAID 5.

I want to virtualize Exchange 2010 and AD:

My plans are to, create AD server using Hyper V on the new server and deploying Exchange 2010 on another Hyper V has well. When she gets another server of similar hardware I want to copy the VHD and deploy another AD Hyper V on the second server for redundancy. But the first setup will be to create the Hyper V AD and Exchange VHD.

What would you do? Or is this setup ok?

thanks

Ossian

Re: Hyper -V

Is your host server going to be a domain member? If so, you have a major issue that it will boot before the (virtual) DC on it, then start looking for a DC, which it will not find.

If your current server became a DC (maybe with a second one as a VM), you would resolve this problem

sorinso

Also note that as long as your CPU does not support hardware-virtualization, there is no way for you to use Hyper-V.
    Also, installing a second DC (AD server, as you call it) by copying the VHD file is not the recommended course of action (copying VHD by itself is not the correct way to acheive redundancy …).

Ossian

But the new server presumably does support VT
    As I read it:
    Old Server — 2Gb, no VT
    New Server — 8Gb, presumably VT
    Future Server — identical to new so will get copies of VHDs for backup purposes — deal with that problem when it arises

sorinso

Re-read the post and you are probably right. :bowdown:

g7rpo

Dont know if M$ have changed their attitude towards virtualisaton of AD servers but wasnt supported last time I had a problem with mine not replicating.

Just something else to think about

Ossian

Do you have a reference for that?
    AFAIK their long term policy has been “keep one physical server (ideally the fsmo holder) per domain”

I have certainly not had issues with vDCs replicating

vonPryz

Ossian;217130 wrote:
    I have certainly not had issues with vDCs replicating

I have successful vDC installs too. Just make sure to disable the host time sync option and rely on external an NTP service to keep all the DC clocks in sync.

-vP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.