HP Procurve PoE

Home Forums Networking General Networking HP Procurve PoE

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • jkpet

I have a project for which I need PoE power.

Originally, I chose the 3500yl 48 port switch, but it turns out that it does not supply enough power.

I cannot find clear specs to answer these questions, so I am asking here.

What is the maximum per-port voltage and wattage supplied in the 3500yl-48 and 2620-48 switches ?

Are there other switches that can provide more ?

Is there CX4 connectivity for the 2620 switch ?

Does the external power supply provide more voltage and/or wattage to either of the above switches ?

biggles77
    Spectator

hp 3500yl-48g-poe+ Look at the top of Page 3, the first and forth lines. :google:

jkpet

Thank you for the reply.

I am still missing the information I need.

For each of the 3500yl and 2620, I need to know the maximum per-port wattage and voltage supplied, and whether that increases if an external supply like the HPE630 is added.

Unfortunately, the published documentation is hugely unclear about this, but I was hoping that someone would actually know this.

Separately, I need to confirm whether the 2620 has a CX4 connectivity option.

biggles77
    Spectator

Watt is hugely unclear about this?

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:”none”,”data-size”:”medium”,”data-attachmentid”:517357}[/ATTACH]

Have you used :google: to look for any documentation that isn’t hugely unclear? I spent literally 45 seconds to find the link in my first post. You haven’t said what you tried doing. Contact HP Forums and see if you can get what you need for this retired device.

The Cisco devices I have used in the past supplied the same amount of power to each port that was set to POE. Have you tried using the web interface of the HP device to see if this info is available there? I have not used HP switches so I don’t know what is available in them.

Anonymous

As far as increasing the power delivered to a POE port by attaching an additional, external power supply, I think that’s a step too far. Normal voltage/current regulation will be set up to a maximum value as in the spec sheets, and will go no further. To allow higher current ratings allows for short circuits to do real damage to wiring or client devices, if not properly regulated. If such a facility were built into a device, it would surely be advertised as a sales note. But if some client device needed so much more power than is considered the standard draw, the vendor of such a device would have to be able to identify how to power it as POE, instead of having a mains ‘brick’ co-located with the client.

You haven’t mentioned what type of client device you’re trying to drive. Any hints?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.