Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

Home Forums Virtualization Virtual Server & Virtual PC Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar pclinc 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Avatar
    bearebel
    Member
    #150522

    Hello all,
    I am a newbie here; and perhaps like you all, a desperate problem has brought me here.
    I am running Windows 7 on virtual PC and to perform certain tasks, I am simply trying to drag and drop some files from my base Windows XP machine to the Windows 7 Virtual PC.
    However, it doesn’t seem to work.
    I have tried:
    – drag and drop
    – copy and paste
    – Installing virtual machine additions
    – rebooting the computer

    None seem to help. Any ideas from those who have done this before or seem to know the technical reason behind it?
    Thanks in advance!

    Avatar
    Ossian
    Moderator
    #182370

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    Have you installed / enabled the virtual machine additions?

    Edit — sorry, I see you have installed them — have you checked in the properties of the VM they are enabled?
    Have you rebooted your VPC since?

    Have you tried reinstalling the additions?

    Avatar
    pclinc
    Member
    #376870

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    Ossian;214614 wrote:
    Have you installed / enabled the virtual machine additions?

    have you checked in the properties of the VM they are enabled?
    Have you rebooted your VPC since?

    Have you tried reinstalling the additions?

    I did install my virtual machine after installing the virtual machine addition, however, it is now coming up with a blue screen of death!
    If I don’t install the virtual machine addition, it runs fine. But ofcourse, there is no point if I cannot copy files into the virtual machine.

    I am trying to reinstall the windows 7 on virtual PC now. Will keep you posted.
    Let me know please if you know anything about this blue screen issue.

    Avatar
    Ossian
    Moderator
    #182375

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    If additions will not work, you cannot drag and drop. You must install additions AFTER installing the guest OS

    How about sharing a folder on the 7 virtual machine and connecting to it on the host? (or the other way around)

    Avatar
    biggles77
    Spectator
    #211453

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    bearebel, what I do when I install a VM is to save it to a storage location. If I need to use that VM, I Copy & Paste the VM to the location that I want to use it from. This was you only ever have to create a single VM. This way the original VM is never used except when Updating or copying to replace a borked one. Saves a crap load of time.

    Avatar
    pclinc
    Member
    #376871

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    Ossian;214621 wrote:
    If additions will not work, you cannot drag and drop. You must install additions AFTER installing the guest OS

    How about sharing a folder on the 7 virtual machine and connecting to it on the host? (or the other way around)

    Reinstalled the Windows 7 on Virtual PC; same problem reappeared!!
    Can install Additions, but after the restart, it just prompts to restore to a previous state.

    Also, I tried connecting my Windows 7 to the internet by using the ‘Shared NAT’ network adapter (as I usually and successfully do with other Virtual Machines); but it doesn’t let me connect to internet although it receives an IP by DHCP. Weird!

    Avatar
    pclinc
    Member
    #376872

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    biggles77;214651 wrote:
    bearebel, what I do when I install a VM is to save it to a storage location. If I need to use that VM, I Copy & Paste the VM to the location that I want to use it from. This was you only ever have to create a single VM. This way the original VM is never used except when Updating or copying to replace a borked one. Saves a crap load of time.

    Certainly. That is what I do as well. However, I cannot install ‘Additions’ on any of these VMs that I have copied from one single VM.

    Avatar
    pclinc
    Member
    #376873

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    bearebel;214870 wrote:
    Reinstalled the Windows 7 on Virtual PC; same problem reappeared!!
    Can install Additions, but after the restart, it just prompts to restore to a previous state.

    Also, I tried connecting my Windows 7 to the internet by using the ‘Shared NAT’ network adapter (as I usually and successfully do with other Virtual Machines); but it doesn’t let me connect to internet although it receives an IP by DHCP. Weird!

    Found a solution!
    It only works if Windows 7 is installed on Virtual PC SP1 !

    Next problem…I need to activate this copy of Windows 7. I have the product key, but cannot connect to the Internet from Windows 7 Virtual PC. Has the IP if I use SHared NAT option, but no internet access….any clue?

    Avatar
    Ossian
    Moderator
    #182410

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    Is there still a telephone activation option?

    Avatar
    biggles77
    Spectator
    #211469

    Re: Help copying files from Windows XP base machine to Windows 7 Virtual PC

    Post an IPCONFIG /ALL from the Win 7 VM. Also one from the XP machine.

    Where is Win 7 getting its DHCP IP from?
    Where does the XP machine get its IP from?
    Can you ping an IP from the Win 7 VM? eg, ping the XP IP from Win 7 then ping Win 7 from XP machine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.