Happy with my Exchange 2013 SP1 under VirtualBox until…

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2007 / 2010 / 2013 Happy with my Exchange 2013 SP1 under VirtualBox until…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  shefi 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    loureed4
    Participant

Until I read this:

“…Virtual disks that dynamically expand aren’t supported by Exchange.​..” :(

I looked into the minimum requirements but did not expect this.

Basically some services are not starting, and I guess it is because my VM is running on a dynamically expandable virtual disk.

Ossian

Training and testing – ignore such warnings
    Production – follow them

What specs is your VM?

joeqwerty

“Virtual disks that dynamically expand aren’t supported by Exchange” – This is true but “not supported” and “don’t work” are two different things. The dynamic disks aren’t the cause of your problem simply due to the fact that they’re dynamic disks.

shefi

Thanks both.

​Ossian, the specs: 50 GB of Hard disk. 2 GB RAM.

Exchange related services did not start. I rebooted the machine three times. I was guessing it was a low RAM, but then I read that and, unlike joeqwerty, I thought that “not supported” actually meant “it won’t work.”

The firewalls in both the DC and the Exchange machine were ON.

So now I am installing it on a 50 GB fixed Virtual Hard Drive.

Ossian

IMHO RAM is the issue – even for a training environment, about 8Gb is needed
    Speed of drives may also be an issue – my training laptops can run 2-3 Exchange 2013 servers, plus a DC and client on 16Gb with an SSD, but without an SSD I see the same behaviour as you

Try starting services manually after boot

shefi

Wow, 8 GB. That is impossible for my humble budget. :(

​Yes, I tried unsuccessfully to start the services manually.

Ossian

Check your PM please

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.