Group Policy Update Refresh Trigger

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services GPO Group Policy Update Refresh Trigger

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  v-2nas 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • boondock

Outside of a gpupdate cmd, a reboot, and the default GPO refresh, what else can trigger a GP update?

The reason I ask is this, we are having some users that will be traveling between our 3 sites. At each site they have a different set of printers that we are mapping via GPO Preferences. We are also using Item Level Targeting to map the printers based on the subnet the user is on.

The preferences work like a charm in our test environment. I can change the IP address, run a gupdate /force and have new printers mapped and default printer set. I can also reboot the computer as well to make this happen.

I thought about changing the default refresh interval on those particular users computers to 10 minutes, but I’m afraid that might have an adverse affect on performance, unless someone else can validate that it will not.

Another option is to reboot when they arrive at the next site, but the majority of these users put their laptop into standby or shut the lid and don’t completely shutdown to allow GPOs to refresh upon reboot. In other words, a reboot is inconvenient for them.

Is there anything else that can trigger a refresh of GPOs, such as an IP address change?

Ossian

Re: Group Policy Update Refresh Trigger

How about a script on the desktop they are instructed to run when they connect to a new site network?

boondock

That’s an idea, but wanted to make it a bit more seamless to the end user if possible.

v-2nas

Hi,

Check gpupdate /? for more info. You can then issue gpupdate with valid switches from the server side to push the setting to the client.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.