GPO refresh error – Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exiting…

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory GPO refresh error – Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exiting…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  v-2nas 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Albertwt

Hi All,

I’m having problem with my GPO changes, that I’d like to force to my terminal server users here’s what I’ve done:

1. I’ve made some necessary changes in one of the Domain Controllers to disable the GPO which applies to my Terminal Server user OU

2. and then I go to the Terminal Server mstsc /admin console to perform the GPo refresh by using /force parameter, however I got this error instead:

Code:
    C:Documents and SettingsAdminisrator>gpupdate /force
    Refreshing Policy…

[b]User Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exiting…[/b]
    User Policy Refresh has completed.
    [b]Computer Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exiting…[/b]
    Computer Policy Refresh has completed.

FYI:
    the target TS is running on Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2 64 bit edition
    the GPO object that I changed is the Enable Clipboard Redirection (Computer GPO – Loopback) – so that the user is now able to copy paste as opposed previously disabled.

and I have this enabled in the GPO:

Policy Setting
    Turn off background refresh of Group Policy Enabled
    User Group Policy loopback processing mode Enabled
    Mode: Replace

and in the Terminal Server:

tscc – [Terminal Services ConfigurationConnections]
    RDP-Tcp Properties | Client Settings
    Disable the following:
    [v] Clipboard mapping (checked and disabled)

is there any way of how to make it in effect immediately please ?

Thanks

Albertwt

Re: GPO refresh error – Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exitin

but then the changes still got no effect yet as I logged in to the terminal server ?

Ossian

Re: GPO refresh error – Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exitin

IMHO, you cannot be sure GPO changes have taken effect until the server has rebooted a couple of times — anything before that is a bonus, not an expectation :twisted:

We do not know what OS your TS is using, which might help give a more informed answer, nor do we know what GP changes you are applying.

btw, there is a very useful “edit” button which allows you to add information to an existing post you have made, rather than adding a new post.

Albertwt

Ossian;230926 wrote:
    IMHO, you cannot be sure GPO changes have taken effect until the server has rebooted a couple of times — anything before that is a bonus, not an expectation :twisted:

We do not know what OS your TS is using, which might help give a more informed answer, nor do we know what GP changes you are applying.

btw, there is a very useful “edit” button which allows you to add information to an existing post you have made, rather than adding a new post.

hm… you could be right, but in this case my Terminal server is now accessed by several ~ 55 users nationally and restarting the whole server might be planned next month for the maintenance weekend.

Albertwt

Ossian;230926 wrote:

Ossian, I recently found out that I have this enabled in the GPO, would this be the culprit ?

Policy Setting
    Mode: Replace [/CODE][CODE]Policy Setting
    Mode: Replace [/CODE]

Ossian

Try turning the background refresh back ON

v-2nas

Hi,

Turn off background refresh of Group Policy make it not set
    run repadmin /syncall /e

after that may require a DC reboot but you can try gpupdate /force before that as well

Albertwt

v-2nas;231090 wrote:
    Hi,

Turn off background refresh of Group Policy make it not set
    run repadmin /syncall /e

after that may require a DC reboot but you can try gpupdate /force before that as well

thank you for your reply,

but how come the DC must be reboot as well ?
    this changes should only affect the Terminal Server only not the DC :confused:

I tried gpupdate /force but it returning error due to the time out issue.

v-2nas

Hi,

GPO gets force down thru DC. Essentially the PDC emulator role holds the responsibilty of Pushing down the changes. I suggest you “may” require to reboot the dc, not hard and fast rule but i have seens issues gets fixed after making necessary changes and rebooting the box.

You can try without rebooting and check if it helps.

you can run dfsutil /pktinfo and check from which DC your TS referring to sysvol and which DC it’s selecting.If you have multiple DCs, after running repadmin wait for while for replication to be insync.

you can then issue repadmin /replsummary to check the delta

Albertwt

Ossian;231049 wrote:
    Try turning the background refresh back ON

Ossian, yes, I finally found out that key, but of course in this case I will need to restart the whole terminal server.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.