Frustrating Windows Server 2008 R2 performance issues

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Frustrating Windows Server 2008 R2 performance issues

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Blood 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • jakemendonza

I am the sysadmin for a nearly 100% virtualized environment. I have a piece of software that we are moving to a server OS, as it was originally installed on windows 7, 32 bit. This piece of software recommends the use of a RAM Disk for some of it’s files. On our Win7 machine, 2 GB of the RAM is dedicated to this purpose, leaving 1 Gb for processing. < LINK REMOVED>

My new servers are w2k8 r2, 12gb ram. I’ve installed a 4GB ram disk. The performance is significantly slower. it’s terrible. It’s taking 4 times longer on the server edition then on the OS edition. I even increased the RAM disk to 14 gb (upped the ram to 16gb), to allow us to install the entire piece of software, and the files that are being read, to the ram disk. It’s performing better, but it’s still drastically declined. < LINK REMOVED>

I’m at a complete loss as to why this isn’t performing better. It was suggested by the vendor that it was AV, but our new server didn’t hav AV turned on during initial tests, and we are running a virtualized AV.< LINK REMOVED>
    I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m super limited hardware wise as to what I can throw at this system, and i’m completely out of ideas on why this is sucking so bad. help.

biggles77
    Spectator

Have you tried running it without a RAM Disk on the Server O/S?

Blood

I’ve never used VM’s but one thing that springs to mind is the amount of CPU access the application has. If RAM is sufficient then either disk access is an issue, or, there are not enough CPU cycles available for the software, and VM’s share CPU’s. But, I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong!

biggles77
    Spectator
    Blood wrote:
    I’ve never used VM’s

:shock: :grin:

Isn’t it funny how we read things Blood. You read the post that the application was running in a VM. I read it that jakemendonza had installed it on a physical server, ergo my initial posts about not using a RAM Disk due to a Server handling the RAM a tad different to a non Server O/S. A nice pickup my friend!. :beer:

Blood

I did wonder if my supposition was right – the OP mentions a nearly 100% virtualized environment so I assumed it was installed in a VM. However, as Ossian sometimes says about assumptions… :smile:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.