Folder Icons Showing Image Contents

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 Folder Icons Showing Image Contents

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Blood Blood 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    janetb

I presently have folder icons which show a standing, partially opened folder with the first two images in the folder appearing as pages in the folder (so you only see a small part of the images). But I recall having had in the past a flat, closed folder icon with he first 4 images of the folder showing on the front of the folder. Is the standing, partially opened folder a Windows 7 default or is it something I did (perhaps with a third party app?)? I would like to get the old icon back with the flat, closed folder so I can see better what is inside without having to open the folder. Could it be that I am remembering the way it was in XP?

Thanks for any advice!

Janet

wullieb1

Re: Folder Icons Showing Image Contents

janetb;273270 wrote:
    I presently have folder icons which show a standing, partially opened folder with the first two images in the folder appearing as pages in the folder (so you only see a small part of the images). But I recall having had in the past a flat, closed folder icon with he first 4 images of the folder showing on the front of the folder. Is the standing, partially opened folder a Windows 7 default or is it something I did (perhaps with a third party app?)? I would like to get the old icon back with the flat, closed folder so I can see better what is inside without having to open the folder. Could it be that I am remembering the way it was in XP?

Thanks for any advice!

Janet

Try changing the view that you use to achieve the desired folder look.

janetb

wullieb1;273298 wrote:
    Try changing the view that you use to achieve the desired folder look.

Am referring only to icons used as thumbnails in large thumbnail view.

Blood
    Blood

I’m not on a Win7 PC at present, but does setting the type of data the folder holds change the icon view (music, images, data, video)? Can’t remember how to do it at the moment…

wullieb1

janetb;273321 wrote:
    Am referring only to icons used as thumbnails in large thumbnail view.

There is no such thing as large thumbnail view.

From the reading I’ve been doing it is not possible to get the XP folder look on a Windows 7 machine.

Please see

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/10590-how-change-default-folder-view.html

janetb

wullieb1;273366 wrote:
    There is no such thing as large thumbnail view.

Yes, like the guy in your link, I meant View>Large icons. I also wanted to see the four photos clearly on the flat folder icon to quickly see what’s in the folder.

Ossian

Is it just a question of disabling Aero?
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/disable-aero-in-windows-7/e3c1e76b-e820-4040-9eec-39caad9092b8

janetb

Ossian;273456 wrote:
    Is it just a question of disabling Aero?

I didn’t think it was related to Aero (?). Other threads I’ve seen think the 4-images-in-flat-folder icon is an XP thing that changed to the standing folder in XP/Vista. Are you able to get this feature in Windows 7 (by disabling Aero)??

Ossian

Not got any Win7 machines nearby to test — it was just a thought

If it was changed from XP to Vista, why do you expect it to have changed back in Win7?

janetb

Ossian;273472 wrote:
    If it was changed from XP to Vista, why do you expect it to have changed back in Win7?

I have no idea if it was changed in either Vista or Windows 7. This is what I am trying to found out….:-)….Most people posting on this subject on other threads/forums were, like yourself, just guessing. So I still don’t know whether the feature was actually removed or whether it still is accessible in Win 7 by some setting.

Ossian

tbh, life is too short, and I have enough better things to do with it, to worry about a folder icon (especially since I live in detail view by default), but I look forward to hearing if you do ever find a definitive answer

EDIT — despite the above, a short :google: strongly suggests the only solution involves fdisk and the XP installation media :twisted:
    First few links here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+7+folder+view+show+content+tiles&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&redir_esc=&ei=tPG1UZypOIGsOKudgZgF#rls=com.microsoft:en-GB%3AIE-Address&biw=1601&bih=900&sclient=psy-ab&q=apply+xp+style+folder+views+to+windows+7&oq=apply+xp+style+folder+views+to+windows+7&gs_l=serp.3..33i29i30l2.3936.10993.0.11499.40.26.0.0.0.1.1863.14802.3-1j2j9j2j3j2.19.0…0.0…1c.1.16.psy-ab.SSLd77BA7XA&pbx=1&bav=on.2
    Note there do not seem to be any authoritative answers from MS, but if people have been asking in vain for 2-3 years, the chance of a hidden setting is pretty much zero.

wullieb1

It does not revert back to the XP style when Aero is disabled.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.