Files permssions

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar progolfermark 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    superhl

Windows 2003 server
    I created new folder c:data and shared and gave everyone (permissions) full control. Inside have a folder ” printshop” and “apps”. Using NTFS, i gave the group “PrintShop” which has member user “Printhsop1” full control. When I login as the user “printshop1 cannot access the folder “data”. Why? If I login with admin rights I can all the files.

Silver23

Re: Files permssions

.. what ntfs permissions does your data share have ?

set traverse folder for printshop and you should be able to connect.

Ossian

RUn the effective permissions tool (security – advanced) and check there is no inherited permission screwing things up

Blood
    Blood

Also, under the advanced options on the security tab on Printshop make sure to tick the checkbox to ‘Replace all…’. Sometimes, permissions which are added to a (sub)folder after a share has been set up will not take effect until they have been forcibly applied using this method.

superhl

NTFS permissions on data= Administrator,Creator owner, system (full control)
    NTFS permissions on PrintShop = administrator (full control), creator owner, system, PrintShop (full control)
    Sharing permissions on Data =(authenticated Users, Everyone and users (full control)

In my opinion it has something to do with either gettings rights from above or sharing permissions.

Test it when you add the user printshop1 to the sharing permissions and see if you can gain access.

If so there is something wrong in the AD.

Fot the ntfs permission I always make sure that I don’t let it get rights from a folder above. So copy those rights and don’t let it use the inherited permissions.

Ossian

Have you checked effective permissions and inheritance, as suggested in #3 and #4 above?

superhl

OK. I found the problem. On the “data” folder -share permissions, I changed “everyone” group to “domain users” full control. I then gave the user “printshop1″ ntfs rights to the ” Printshop” folder (all but full control). I logged in as user Printshop1 and still could not access the “Data” folder (access denied). Then from the run command, I completed \serverdataprintshop and I could see the files. I was thinking I could browse through the folder dataprintshop but I can’t. Thanks

tehcamel
    tehcamel

sounds like you didn’t have the “traverse” as polinted out above

superhl

How do I set traverse rights? How about Access-based Enumeration?

superhl;210651 wrote:
    How about Access-based Enumeration?

Google “windows server 2003 access based enumeration” for some hints? It’s an add-on you can install onto 2003 R2 servers. If you also have Windows Server 2008 servers, it’s built in to the OS.

superhl

I installed Access based-enumeration and applied to all shared folders.
    I mapped a drive: NET USE I: \Encsd3DataApps /PERSISTENT:NO
    On the security tab i gave user tlassiter full control to “OCS”. When tlassiter logs in he does not get a mapped drive. Now if I map a drive: NET USE I: \Encsd3DataAppsOCS /PERSISTENT:NO , the mapping works and he can see his folders. Why can I map a drive for example “NET USE I: \Encsd3DataApps /PERSISTENT:NO” and it work allowing the users who have access to their folders see only those folders?

superhl

At the “data’ folder I get the mapping to work if I give “domain users” list folder rights; however, they see all the folders(can’t see what is in the folder) and the user tlassiter can see what is in his folder. Now if I can figure out how to prevent the user from see all the folders

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.