FAILOVER CLUSTER and NIC ISSUES

Home Forums Virtualization Microsoft Hyper-V Technology FAILOVER CLUSTER and NIC ISSUES

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bigalusn 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • bigalusn
    Participant

I created 6 new WS2016 server in a failover cluster, with Hyper-v.

All servers are built the same, 4gb ram, 125gb hdd.

Now 4 servers I used my Virtual Switch manager to manage the NIC, with VLAN ID enabled, and changed VLAN Identifier from 2 to 100, all boot up snag a DHCP address and fully patched, then I add them to the domain and give them a proper IP address all good.

the last two server I do exactly as stated above, but after I get a proper DHCP address, I add them to the domain reboot, and then give them a static IP, but the static IP can’t ping or surf the net. Again, all the steps work fine with all the other VM’s that I created.

if I remove the static IP, I then get the Generic dhcp address of 169.x.x.x. I add the static and again nothing. I shut it down, add another NIC and I can get the proper DHCP, but that’s two different NICs, which I don’t want. I shutdown, remove old one and problem starts again.

Hope I explained that pretty clear.

Ossian

You didn’t say it, but did you change the VLAN ID on the two problem servers?

bigalusn
    Participant

yes, I’ve made them all the same. Just weird.

also ran Repair-volume –driveletter c –scan, but zero errors which I figured.

bigalusn
    Participant

I found a work around, I shutdown the two VM’s, went into settings and added a second NIC, turned on VM’s, got a DHCP address, added Static to original NIC, and disabled second NIC. All works. Crazy.

oh new problem now, I can’t RDP to VM’s, thanks MS!! ugh.

bigalusn
    Participant

issues still exists. Takes a very long time to logon to the VM’s and I can’t RDP to them, not even via IP.

bigalusn
    Participant

finally got this working. It was our two front end switches, the Virtual Link Trunking (VLT) wasn’t working properly with teaming the NICs. Quick fix after Dell tech/reps discovered it, rebooted the switches, boom all worked just fine on the Windows Server 2016 VM’s.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.