Bobby HuckabayMemberApril 24, 2018 at 10:27 pm #167524
Migration from SBS2011 to Server 2016 Essentials
Used this post to migrate with no problem. Everything was working. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2014/02/21/deploying-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-in-an-existing-active-directory-environment/
The night I finished the master AD had a hardware failure and was not able to remove the master AD from Domain. I’m trying to recover the domain to the 2016 Essentials backup AD. I used this post to recover the domain:
http://geekswithblogs.net/mhamilton/archive/2007/04/15/111674.aspx and https://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles
Had no problem with the steps in the post. Moved to Clean up AD and used this post:
Next, I cleaned DNS. Deleted old DC from Name Server and replaced the old server name with a new name. Start of Authority (SOA). Check NSLOOKUP and receive this:
primary name server = 184.108.40.206.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa
responsible mail addr = (root)
serial = 0
refresh = 28800 (8 hours)
retry = 7200 (2 hours)
expire = 604800 (7 days)
default TTL = 86400 (1 day)
I have the same problem I started with: when I go to Active Directory Sites and Service I receive this:
Naming information cannot be located because The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
I’m not sure where to go from hear. This is a small domain I can start new but all the user, GPO’s and Devices where already synced so I thought it would be easier to fix this server.
OssianModeratorApril 25, 2018 at 12:39 am #191982
Since you are getting IPv6 addresses back, there may be something up with your IPv4 stack. Have you checked the server IP is OK?April 25, 2018 at 6:42 am #392010
Thanks, I overlook the part of the message. I had the same problem when a set of DHCP on the server. I disabled the unused nick card in the server so I will go back and check the IP 6 on the working nickApril 25, 2018 at 6:49 am #392011
Ossian, Thanks that fixed the DNS resolve problem, but when I go into Active Directory Sites and Services still getting “Naming Information Cannot be located…” I will rest.
Kobe 310ParticipantApril 26, 2018 at 1:24 pm #392012
Sorry, for the delay. Thanks, Kobe 310 I will look at the link and let you know.April 26, 2018 at 2:36 pm #392013
Yep no Netlogon folder. Infact the SysVol folder was empty. so i guess the other dc never replicated to the new on. This link fixed that problem;
If i was working on a network with a lot of users and policies i would have look for another solution. This domain is very small so going back to default GPO’s was not a problem.Alluser account are still in the system. I will make GP’s.
Thanks for all the help
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.