Extending C

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar shefi 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    loureed4
    Participant

Hello,

I created a Virtual Box where I installed 2012 R2, 50 GB of hard disk.

I ran out of space, and wanted to extent the volume. To this end, I attached a new 100 GB drive to the VirtualBox box, but I see that I cannot extent C because the free space is not contiguous. ( https://www.partition-magic-server.com/windows-server-2012/how-to-extend-expand-disk-partition.html )

Is it my only choice to reinstall or to get a third party software?

I am trying not to reinstall because I installed also SCCM 2012 R2 in this box.

Thanks in advance.

joeqwerty

Doesn’t Virtual Box have an option to expand or extend the original virtual hard disk?

Ossian

If not, you can convert to a dynamic disk and extend to a non-contiguous space

Be aware this conversion is irreversible

Alternatively, since it is (I assume) a test environment, backup then restore to a new, larger, VM – good test of server 2012 BMR too!

shefi

Thanks both.

Joeqwerty , I will definitely look into that !

Ossian, I hadnt thought of converting it, sorry about that. Yes, it is a lab. I already took a backup, I always take many backups. :)

Thanks again!

shefi
    joeqwerty;n507257 wrote:
    Doesn’t Virtual Box have an option to expand or extend the original virtual hard disk?

I have just looked into this, and there seems not to be such option.

wullieb1

Maybe you need to do some research then. 2 secs in Google gave me this from 2012.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=50661

I don’t have virtualbox installed at the moment but it surely can’t be that difficult to increase the virtual disk size then extend it in Windows.

shefi

Yes, I just looked into the software itself, not on google, shame on me.

I made a full backup with Windows 2012 Backup feature and it worked!

Thanks a lot !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.