Exchange/DC same server want to move to Office 365

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2007 / 2010 / 2013 Exchange/DC same server want to move to Office 365

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ThaHomie 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Ghostrocket

Hi all

Why is it when you move jobs Exchange haunts you :)

So currently the Exchange server (all roles) is on the same server as a DC (Windows 2008r2 and Exchange 2010 SP3)
    I know this isnt recommended and ordinarily I would split exchange away.
    However we are already budgeted to move to a hybrid environment and then obviously migrate completely to Office 365.
    So it seemed little point to go through the effort of creating new exchange server etc.

My question is with the non recommended set up of Exchange and DC on the same server can I still go hybrid then migrate 100%
    Then obviously in time delete Exchange role on prem and leave me with a DC.

Thanks

Ossian

AFAIK yes – the main risk of Exchange on DCs is that Exchange will use that DC exclusively, and uninstalling the DC role will break Exchange – and, obviously, security on the DC is reduced.

However, I would introduce an additional DC before removing Exchange “just in case” something breaks

ThaHomie

Hi Ossian

sorry i guess my question was even with the two roles together can i still go to a hybrid environment with office 365 ????

Then in time once i am fully migrated to office 365 and no longer need an on prem exchange server thats when I will remove the exchange role from the on prem exchange server.

Thanks

Ossian

Sorry in turn – I was trying to say that it should not affect the hybrid environment

ThaHomie

I didnt think it should Ossian but thanks for the confirmation :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.