Exchange 2013 problems with RPC and autodiscover

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2007 / 2010 / 2013 Exchange 2013 problems with RPC and autodiscover

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar EarthReactor 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Avatar
    davids355
    Member
    #163857

    I have an issue with exchange 2013 and RPC.

    I have a network up and running, but configuring remote outlook clients has been trouble right form the start.

    I sort of got everything working, but I had to input the settings for remote clients manually and it was really hard work – they kept failing and having to be reset and so on.

    Yesterday, one of the remote clients failed and wont reconnect. So I thought it was the opportune moment to sort out eh problem at its root.

    Autodiscover was set up originally, but I felt like something wasnt configured correctly.

    I have just performed RPC test at:
    https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com

    Everything gets the green light up to and including:
    Autodiscover settings for Outlook Anywhere are being validated.

    After which it fails with the following:

    Attempting to resolve the host name servername.domain.local in DNS. (I have obscured the real names of server and domain).

    So I am guessing that I have an entry that is incorrect somewhere in exchange internal/external URis?

    Any ideas?

    Avatar
    Sembee
    Member
    #261348

    Re: Exchange 2013 problems with RPC and autodiscover

    If you are seeing a reference to the internal sever name, then it could be a missed URL.

    http://semb.ee/hostnames2013

    Although there is an internal reference during the process when it connects to the Mailbox server. That isn’t normally seen.

    Check the URLs to begin with, don’t forget to run iisreset after doing so.

    You have a trusted SSL certificate I presume?

    Simon.

    Avatar
    EarthReactor
    Member
    #377223

    Re: Exchange 2013 problems with RPC and autodiscover

    Hi,
    thanks for the quick reply.

    I have followed those instructions – including the configuration of split DNS.

    I restarted exchange services and restarted IIS via IIS7 admin.

    The issue still persists.

    I can successfully configure outlook anywhere, if I enter everything manually –
    server:local server FQDN
    mailbox:mailbox name
    and then tick connect to microsoft exchange over http
    URL:Public FQDN.

    But that is then a very intermitent setup – at a random point in time, it will later fail – I guess thats when it tries to update itself via autodiscover?

    The remote connectivity analyser still says that it cant resolve a local address (server.domain.local), anywhere else I can check to see if that still resides?

    By the way, it is exchange 2013, if I didnt mention that already.

    In ECP, I have changed all virtual directory URIs (internal and external) to the appropriate values, but all with the FQDN rather thatn the internal one.

    Avatar
    Sembee
    Member
    #261351

    Re: Exchange 2013 problems with RPC and autodiscover

    Do an Autodiscover test through Outlook.
    http://semb.ee/adt

    See what is being returned to the client.
    Some references to an internal server are fine, because eventually it needs to hit the mailbox role holder. Whether it is an issue though is another matter.

    Simon.

    Avatar
    EarthReactor
    Member
    #377224

    Re: Exchange 2013 problems with RPC and autodiscover

    Sembee;284587 wrote:
    Do an Autodiscover test through Outlook.
    http://semb.ee/adt

    See what is being returned to the client.
    Some references to an internal server are fine, because eventually it needs to hit the mailbox role holder. Whether it is an issue though is another matter.

    Simon.

    can I post the results here? With obscured personal details?
    The output doesn’t show any errors as such.
    But then as soon as I close outlook, it wont open again – server unavailable message displays.
    then I have to set up another profile manually.
    And yes, there is a proper SSL cert from Godaddy and its a multi domain one.

    Avatar
    EarthReactor
    Member
    #377225

    Re: Exchange 2013 problems with RPC and autodiscover

    Just a quick note to say that I have finially got to the bottom of it.
    Simon you got me looking in the right places – at the Exchange URIs.

    I came across this article on exchange 2013 setup:

    http://ilantz.com/2013/06/29/exchange-2013-outlook-anywhere-considerations/

    I followed all of that very carefully, then done another IISRESET, and it all worked.

    Autodiscover is now working perfectly for remote users.

    Im so glad that is resolved and working correctly now.

    Its quite ironic though because the original problem I had with a user that prompted all of this investigation, WASNT fixed by the above steps!

    It turned out that the only reason her outlook stopped working was because somehow “compatibility mode” had been ticked for her outlook 2013 icon!

    Im happy though because this autodiscover issue was a very real problem in itself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.