Exchange 2010 64 Bit question

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2007 / 2010 / 2013 Exchange 2010 64 Bit question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ThaHomie 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ghostrocket

Hi all

Just a general question.

We maybe looking at implementing Exchange 2010, currently we do not use Exchange at all. So should be fairly straight forward.

However on reading the pre req’s it looks like Exchange 2010 can only be installed on 64bit and to prepare the AD the setup/prep commands have to be run by on a 64 Bit server.

As we only have one DC running 2008 std 32 bit, is it that I will need to introduce a 64 bit DC on top to be able to prep the AD ?

Going by this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125224

Ossian

Re: Exchange 2010 64 Bit question

IIRC you can run the prepare commands on a 64bit member server with the AD DS role installed, but it does not have to be a DC

ThaHomie

Ossian;260043 wrote:
    IIRC you can run the prepare commands on a 64bit member server with the AD DS role installed, but it does not have to be a DC

Ahh well we have no 64bit servers at all just workstations, should of mentioned that.
    So in essence I might as well get a second DC 64bit 2008 R2

Thanks for your reply :)

Ossian

As you have pointed out, Exchange 2010 will only install on a 64 bit Server 2008 platform, so you will need at least one member server.

While it is possible to install Exchange on a DC, this is a bad idea and will have a lot of potential consequences.

IMHO, therefore, add a 64-bit (2008R2) member server — a 64-bit DC should be in addition to this

ThaHomie

Ossian;260051 wrote:
    As you have pointed out, Exchange 2010 will only install on a 64 bit Server 2008 platform, so you will need at least one member server.

While it is possible to install Exchange on a DC, this is a bad idea and will have a lot of potential consequences.

IMHO, therefore, add a 64-bit (2008R2) member server — a 64-bit DC should be in addition to this

Thanks for the reply ….. I wont be installing Exchange on a DC. I actually meant that I would add a second DC to our current environment running 2008R2 and then add Exchange on a separate server also running 2008R2. I know that wasn’t clear.

Sembee

The prep commands can be run on the Exchange server itself, they do not have to be run on the domain controller.
    Therefore you can just add in the Exchange 2010 server and then run setup.exe and the prep will be run for you.

If you are about to purchase Exchange 2010 I would suggest that you put Software Assurance on to it. A new version of Exchange is expected within the next 12 months.

Simon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for this Petri Webinar!

Want to Make Your Backup Storage Unlimited & Ready for the Cloud? – Free Thurrott Premium Account with Webinar Registration!

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 @ 1:00 pm EDT

A Scale-Out Backup storage infrastructure is a must-have technology for your backups. In this webinar, join expert Rick Vanover for a look on what real-world problems are solved by the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Register Now

Sponsored By