ESXI 3.5 allow virtual disk file to expand

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization ESXI 3.5 allow virtual disk file to expand

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  z674744 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • TOP_ACTION

Hi, Im just trying the now free ESXI on some server and its working GREAT!! just one feature i’m trying to find or enable …
    Its to be able in ESXI 3.5 to allow virtual disk file to expand … like on workstation or virtual server…

So I can set the 100 gig limit on my image in my datastore.. but I want it to grow not to take 100 gig right away..

how can we enable this in esxi ??

jasonboche

Re: ESXI 3.5 allow virtual disk file to expand

Generally you’d use vmkfstools to create a thin format virtual disk. However, it is my understanding that although there is a remote CLI console for ESXi, the ESXi console is READ-ONLY.

Unfortunately that leaves me without a good answer for you. On a positive note, by allocating the 100GB disk up front, that almost guarantees you that your virtual disk will get 100GB of contiguous blocks on the drive meaning no fragmentation meaning high performance.

z674744

Re: ESXI 3.5 allow virtual disk file to expand

There us a Remote Command Line interface (RCLI) for ESXi. Try downloading from: www vmware com /go/remotecli

Excellent docs for the RCLI can be found at: www vmware com/support/pubs under the title Remote Command-Line Interface Installation and Reference Guide

Based on your description you would want to use vmkfstools –diskformat thin option

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.