Edit a GPO field from a script

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 Edit a GPO field from a script

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Anonymous 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DYasny

Hi all,

Lots of Win7 VMs, that I want to automatically shutdown when a user logs off. My problem is I cannot start gpedit.msc on every machine, and edit user config -> windows settings -> scripts (logon/logoff)

Simply placing a cmd file in %WINDIR%System32GroupPolicyUserScriptsLogoff also doesn’t work – I need to enable the policy somehow.

AD is not an option in this case.

So my question is – is there a way, within a script, to place the cmd script in the right location and also update the GPO that uses this cmd file?

Anonymous

Re: Edit a GPO field from a script

What you want to do is:

*-Copy the cmd file to the …scriptslogoff folder on each machine
    *-Manually change the local security policy on that machine to include the script
    *-Export the new security setting as a *.inf file
    *-Use ‘secedit’ to import that *.inf on each machine

Check out this link I found thru our friend :google::
    http://www.itninja.com/blog/view/using-secedit-to-apply-security-templates

DYasny

thanks, secedit was the missing piece here. I was thinking in the direction of creating a .reg file

Rems
    Rems

I am not sure the logoff script policy configuration, and the script file itself, will all part of the inf file. You might instead of using secedit, have to copy all content of the %systemroot%system32grouppolicy folder and replace the content of the grouppolicy folder on the target computers http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog/?p=31 (make backups first).

note.
    In case you did, the logof script cannot use the shutdown.exe command to shutdown the computer. Regular users are not allowed to shutdown the computer by using a shutdown.exe command.

/Rems

Dumber
    Participant

Since you mentioned Windows 7 VMs, are you using VMware View, XenDesktop or such?

DYasny

RHEV for Desktops actually

Dumber
    Participant

Ok, that is one of the few I don’t know, but I do know that other virtual desktop products can do this like view and xendesktop.
    Is there not an option within the RHEV for Desktops?

I searched through RHEV for Desktops administration guide, and it seems it isn’t possible

DYasny

What do you mean by “this”? A xendesktop or view VM gets turned off when a user logs off?

I am currently exploring the options of implementing this in RHEV

Dumber
    Participant

Well it are options within Citrix XenDesktop and VMware View. You can choose what to do when a user logs off. For more info about VMware View
    http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-EE476A53-8D76-4B72-AFF8-AFD8C0791ECC.html

Also see a bit more info in this image. Especially the disconnect and power control options
    290069.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.