Dual Boot File Sharing

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 10 Dual Boot File Sharing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kyuuketsuki 6 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • Kyuuketsuki
    Participant

Hi,

A friend of mine is using separate disks (same machine) to boot the same system i.e. Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro. He is having access difficulties.

If the security of the files on the common partition is not an issue (and I’m asking that) would granting the file system full access permissions to everyone (both OSs) solve the problem?

Can anyone think of any other solutions?

Thx

James

Ossian

A bit more information please – where are the files (on the other OS drive, or on a separate drive)

Also domain or workgroup?

I have had dual boot workgroup computers (8/10 and Vista/8 – don’t ask) and not had issues accessing files on the other drive, or on a separate drive under the same account name and password.

Kyuuketsuki
    Participant

Hi Ossian,

He is using a separate internal drive for the common file area and two distinct drives for booting each OS. The system is standalone (workgroup), Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard (2010), i7-930 (2.80GHz), 18GB.

He has set up 2x removable boot drives:
    1: The original 3.5″ 500GB disk with W7Pro64
    2: A new 2.5″ 480GB SSD in 3.5″ caddy with W10Pro64

He has several internal (fixed) drives and it’s these he’s having problems with. On booting the system and changing the drive (after a clean shutdown) CHKDSK is triggered resulting in various IDs being ‘fixed’. He is also having permission problems with some newly created files on his internal drives.

He thinks his problems stem from using NTFS but has no experience of exFAT which might provide a solution and there are tools that can be used to format large partitions (no idea if a 3TB one can be though).

Most of that was from an email he sent me, does it provide enough info?

Will ask about the userid/password.

James

• This reply was modified 6 days, 10 hours ago by  Kyuuketsuki.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.